|This article or subsection has an associated category.||1955|
|years:||1952 1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958
(stardates from 1955.0)
|decades:||1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s|
|centuries:||19th century - 20th century - 21st century|
1955 was, on Earth's calendar, the 56th year of the 21st century, and the sixth year of the 1950s decade. Although this was a time period before Human formulation of stardates, this era begins with stardate 1955.0.
- On Earth, Human astronomer Colin Stanley Gum discovers a nebula which has formed from a supernova remnant. The nebula was christened the Gum Nebula in his honor.
- In October, the aircraft carrier USS Forrestal is commissioned.
- Captain James T. Kirk is transported to 1955 by the Guardian of Forever, after being subjected to a Klingon mind-sifter in the year 2267. Confused about his identity, he is institutionalized in a mental health facility.
- Kirk also traveled to Earth in 1955 via the time travel cabinet to retrieve a missing doomsday weapon.
|This article or subsection has an associated category.||1955 births|
|This article or subsection has an associated category.||1955 deaths|
Births and deaths
- Leonard McCoy is killed by a Nazi fighter pilot in Hayden, South Carolina.
- World War II continued into this year.
- James T. Kirk is placed in a mental hospital.
References and notes
|From History's Shadow
|The Original Series||14 January 1955||novel|
|A Bomb in Time
Kirk's time travel
|The Original Series||3 April 1955||comic|
Provenance of Shadows
Chapter 52, Section 2
|The Original Series||1955||novel||Alternate-timetrack history of what would have occurred on Earth, had Dr. McCoy prevented Edith Keeler's death in 1930. McCoy killed by invading Nazi soldier.|