|This article or subsection has an associated category.||1964|
|years:||1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967|
|decades:||1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s|
|centuries:||19th century - 20th century - 21st century|
1964 was, on Earth's calendar, the 65th year of the 20th century, and the fifth year of the 1960s decade. Although this was a time period before Human formulation of stardates, this era begins with stardate 1964.0 or reference stardate -1/64.
- Bertrand Carlisle comes to the United States of America to participate in Project Hercules, an effort to develop enhanced fusion technology.
- Christopher Danton votes for the Republican Party candidate in the US presidential election.
- Russian scientists announce a significant breakthrough in the synthesis of a new element, Kurchatovium. International review of their findings does not bear out all their assertions and the credit for naming the discovery is given to other scientists, who call the element "Rutherfordium" in 1966.
- The M16 assault rifle enters use in the United States Army.
- Through time travel, Berlinghoff Rasmussen and J.R. Rasmussen visit Gene Roddenberry with suggestions for his television writing.
- Nikita Khrushchev is removed from power in the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics, with his position passing to Leonid Brezhnev.
- The 1964 final game of the World Series is played, and would later be immortalized in a holosuite program Benjamin Sisko intended to share with Kasidy Yates.
Births and deathsEdit
|This article or subsection has an associated category.||1964 births|
|This article or subsection has an associated category.||1964 deaths|
- 29 March
- Elle Macpherson born.
- 5 April
- Douglas MacArthur dies.
- 27 May
- Jawaharlal Nehru dies.
- 24 July
- Barry Bonds born.
- 15 October
- Cole Porter dies.
References and notesEdit
- ↑ TOS movie: Star Trek.
- ↑ Star Trek: The Role Playing Game (FASA).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 TOS - Star Trek: Assignment: Earth comic: "Brighter Than a Thousand Suns".
- ↑ 4.00 4.01 4.02 4.03 4.04 4.05 4.06 4.07 4.08 4.09 4.10 4.11 Historical fact.
- ↑ ST reference: Star Fleet Medical Reference Manual.
- ↑ ST - Strange New Worlds II short story: "Research".
- ↑ DS9 episode: "The Adversary".
1964 marks the origins of Star Trek, as it is the year that Gene Roddenberry wrote his first "pitch" treatment (Star Trek is…) for selling the show to television studios in March. TOS episode: "The Cage" began filming in November of this year.