|years:||1975 1976 1977 1978 1979 1980 1981
|decades:||1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s 2000s|
|centuries:||19th century - 20th century - 21st century|
1978 was, on Earth's calendar, the 79th year of the 20th century, and the ninth year of the 1970s decade. Although this was a time period before Human formulation of stardates, this era begins with stardate 1978.0  or reference stardate -1/78 .
- The element numbered 107 was discovered in Russia on the planet Earth. 
- The 1978 Boston Red Sox team played this season. Holographic versions of this team were programmed with their 1978 statistics for play in 24th century Federation holoprograms. 
- Captain John Christopher's intact F-104 Starfighter is sold by the United States Air Force as scrap metal, while records still existed of its crash in 1969, due to a causality error in the time stream. 
References and notes
- TOS movie: Star Trek.
- Star Trek: The Role Playing Game (FASA).
- ST reference: Star Fleet Medical Reference Manual.
- Although the Medical Reference Manual theorized 1978 for the discovery of Element 107, the recognized date in real-life was 1981, in Germany. The medical reference is not entirely in error, as there was also a Russian team working on the synthesis on the earlier date, although their findings were deemed inconclusive compared to the 1981 synthesis.
- DS9 episode: "For the Cause".
- Historical fact.
- TOS - Strange New Worlds VII short story: "Project Blue Book".
- TNG - The Space Between comic: "Captain's Pleasure".
- ST reference: Spaceflight Chronology.
|This article or subsection has an associated category.||1978 productions and publications|
- TOS coloring books: Planet Ecnal's Dilemma and Rescue at Raylo, by Whitman Publishing
- TOS coloring books: Space Ark, The Unchartered World, and War in Space, by Liza Hamill
- TOS comic omnibus: Star Trek Annual 1979
- TOS anthology: The New Voyages 2, edited by Sondra Marshak and Myrna Culbreath
- Fotonovel #4: A Taste of Armageddon
- TAS novelization: Log Ten, by Alan Dean Foster
- Gold Key TOS comic: Planet of No Life, by Arnold Drake
- Fotonovel #5: Metamorphosis
- A godlike creature offers Captain Kirk the most incredible gift of all … immortality! How will Kirk spend his days … knowing there will always be a tomorrow?
- Fotonovel #6: All Our Yesterdays
- TOS novelization anthology: The Star Trek Reader IV, by James Blish
- TOS comic #51: Destination Annihilation, by George Kashdan
- TOS comics: "The Hijacked Planet", "Siege in Superspace", "Child's Play" and "Dwarf Planet" are released in Portuguese.
- Star Trek lives on in syndicated repeat airings.
- TOS novelization anthology: Mudd's Angels, by J.A. Lawrence
- Fotonovel #7: The Galileo Seven
- TOS comic #52: And a Child Shall Lead Them, by George Kashdan
- Fotonovel #8: A Piece of the Action
- A gang land war! Captain Kirk risks his life in the deadly crossfire of machine guns as two gangster bosses battle for control of a distant planet!
- TOS comic: "Dark Traveler" is released in Portuguese.
- Fotonovel #9: The Devil in the Dark
- TOS comic #53: What Fools These Mortals Be.., by George Kashdan
- Ancient Greek deities force Kirk and Spock on an odyssey of peril!
- TOS comic: "Ice Journey" is released in Portuguese.
- Fotonovel #10: Day of the Dove
- TOS comic #54: "Sport of Knaves", by George Kashdan.
- TOS comic: Rock and a Hard Place, in TV Comic Annual 1979
- TOS novel: Vulcan!, by Kathleen Sky
- Fotonovel #11: The Deadly Years
- A deadly phenomenon ... young people dying from old age! Kirk must solve the mystery or the Enterprise crew will perish!
- TOS comic #55: A World Against Itself, by Arnold Drake
- Fotonovel #12: Amok Time
- Spock and Kirk in a fight to the death! Only one will live ... one must die! It is the ancient law of the Vulcans!
- TOS comic #56: No Time Like the Past, by George Kashdan
- Captain Kirk sees ancient history — being unmade!
- 3 Oct
- TOS comic: "The Hijacked Planet" is released in Spanish.
- TOS novel: The Starless World, by Gordon Eklund
- Inside the hollow shell of a strange, remote planet Kirk and the Enterprise crew discover a planet within a planet... energized by a white dwarf star... a planet like a lost Eden populated by a race of small, gentle, furred bipeds... a planet falling toward a black hole to spectacular peril and inescapable doom...
- TOS comic #57: Spore of the Devil, by Arnold Drake
- Cornered – by an alien being, frantic to know who he is!
- TOS comic #58: The Brain-Damaged Planet, by George Kashdan
- In one moment, there was peace and tranquility... in another, havoc reigned! And behind it was a force as insidious as a cosmic plague, more explosive than a super-nova!
- 13 Dec
- TOS comic: "The Flight of the Buccaneer" is released in Serbian.
- TOS comics: "The Evictors", "World Against Time", "The World Beneath the Waves", "Mr. Oracle", "This Tree Bears Bitter Fruit", "Murder on the Enterprise", "Destination Annihilation", "And a Child Shall Lead Them", "What Fools These Mortals Be.." and "Sport of Knaves" are released in Dutch and German.
- TOS comics: "The Animal People", "One of Our Captains Is Missing!", "Prophet of Peace", "Furlough to Fury", "Prince Traitor" and "A Warp in Space" are released in German.
- TOS comic: "The Final Truth" is released in Dutch.