|years:||1983 1984 1985 1986 1987 1988 1989|
|decades:||1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s 2000s 2010s|
|centuries:||19th century - 20th century - 21st century|
1986 was, on Earth's calendar, the 87th year of the 20th century, and the seventh year of the 1980s decade. Although this was a time period before Human formulation of stardates, this era begins with stardate 1986.0 or reference stardate -1/86.
- 1 Events
- 2 People
- 3 Appendices
- 4 =External links
- 28 January
- The space shuttle Challenger explodes shortly after liftoff, killing all seven crew members.
- Following the "attack" by the Cetacean Probe in 2286, Admiral James T. Kirk and the former crew of the late USS Enterprise travel to San Francisco to take two humpback whales, George and Gracie, with them back to the future.
- Shortly afterwards, Detective Chizum of the San Francisco Police Department was assigned to investigate Gillian Taylor's disappearance as well as Pavel Chekov's escape from Mercy Hospital. Chizum investigated both matters and discovered that Taylor was involved in Chekov's escape from the hospital. This investigation led Chizum to discover many strange, but linked, occurrences in the San Francisco area, including Taylor's conversation with a strange man in North Bay Pizza who claimed to be from the 23rd century. All the signs led to the landing place of the HMS Bounty in Golden Gate Park, where impressions left by the ship in the grass were still visible. Chizum determined that the actions were carried out by people from the future and found it reassuring that Humanity would still be around by then. After this determination, he moved the case to the inactive list because he would never be able to inform his superiors without being laughed out of his job.
- 10 June
- A. Bartlett Oiamatti becomes president of professional baseball's National League.
- 5 July
- When Jeffrey Carlson, who was present at the interrogation of the Ferengi that crashed in Area 51 in July 1947, gets a hold of the Klingon disruptor and the communicator that Chekov leaves behind on the USS Enterprise (CVN-65), he has his protégé, Shannon O'Donnel examine it. However, before she arrives to do so, she is stopped by Gary Seven, who tells her that mankind is not yet ready for such technology.
- Gary Seven stops a group of Soviet conspirators who plotted to assassinate Mikhail Gorbachev. He is unwillingly aided by Khan Noonien Singh.
- Using the materials that Seven discovered, Roberta Lincoln, disguised as a translator, saves Gorbachev's life during his talks with President Ronald Reagan in Reykjavik.
Births and deaths
|This article or subsection has an associated category.||1986 births|
|This article or subsection has an associated category.||1986 deaths|
- Christa McAuliffe dies.
- Gregory Jarvis dies.
- Ronald McNair dies.
- Ellison Onizuka dies.
- Judith Resnik dies.
- Dick Scobee dies.
- Michael J. Smith dies.
- 17 February
- Tommy Raymond is born.
- 28 March
- Lady Gaga is born.
- 11 June
- Chesley Bonestell dies.
- 8 July
- Hyman Rickover dies.
- 26 July
- Averell Harriman dies.
- 10 October
- Anastasia Komananov dies.
- other notable people
- Chesley Bonestell • Brickman • Chizum • Lady Gaga • Averell Harriman • Harry • Jason • Joe • Anastasia Komananov • Mike • A. Bartlett Oiamatti • Tommy Raymond • Rogerson • Hyman Rickover
References and notes
- TOS movie: Star Trek.
- Star Trek: The Role Playing Game (FASA).
- Historical fact.
- ST reference: Star Trek Chronology
- TOS movie: The Voyage Home.
- TOS novel: Elusive Salvation.
- TOS - Strange New Worlds VI short story: "Whales Weep Not".
- DS9 novel: The 34th Rule.
- TOS novel: The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh, Volume 1.
- TNG episode: "The Neutral Zone".
- DS9 episode: "Our Man Bashir".
|Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
|The Original Series||June 25-27, 1986||movie
|Dating of HMS Bounty's arrival in 20th century established in TOS novel Elusive Salvation.|
"One Last Thing": Chapter 32
|The Original Series||June 25, 1986||novel||Roberta Lincoln is alerted to arrival of Admiral Kirk's stolen Klingon Blird-of-Prey in the year 1986.|
|Strange New Worlds VI
Whales Weep Not
|The Original Series||1986||short story|
|The Eugenics Wars
The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh, Volume 1
|The Original Series||July 5 - October 10, 1986||novel|
|This article or subsection has an associated category.||1986 productions and publications|
- TOS FASA RPG adventures:
- TOS FASA RPG supplements:
- TOS video game: The Promethean Prophecy
- TOS novel #27: Mindshadow, by J.M. Dillard
- TOS comic #22: Wolf on the Prowl: The Wolf, by Tony Isabella
- TOS novel #28: Crisis on Centaurus, by Brad Ferguson
- TOS comic #24: Double Blind: "Double Blind, Part One" by Diane Duane
- TOS novel #29: Fortunes of War, Book 1: Dreadnought!, by Diane Carey
- TOS comic #26: The Trouble with Transporters!, by Bob Rozakis
- TOS comic #29: The Trouble with Bearclaw, by Tony Isabella
- TOS novel: Enterprise: The First Adventure, by Vonda N. McIntyre
- TOS comic #30: Uhura's Story, by Paul Kupperberg
- TOS comic annual #2: The Final Voyage, by Mike W. Barr
- TOS novel #31: Fortunes of War, Book 2: Battlestations!, by Diane Carey
- TOS comic #32: Judgment Day!, by Len Wein
- Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home premieres in cinemas.
- TOS novelization: Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, by Vonda N. McIntyre
- TOS YA novel: Phaser Fight, by Barbara Siegel & Scott Siegel
- TOS comic #33: Vicious Circle!, by Len Wein