|This article or subsection has an associated category.||apes|
Apes are primates of the family Hominidae, a family which includes gorillas, chimpanzees, orangutans, and humanoids. Great Apes characteristically walk on two legs, have a large brain to body mass ratio, and rely on vision as their primary sense.
Early in his first five-year mission, c. 2266, Captain James T. Kirk had dinner with King Kut, leader of the ancient gorilla people of Angoma. In a sports arena, one gorilla played a game of soccer against a team from the Enterprise, winning by himself 16-2. (TOS comic: "Beware the Beast")
Later during the five-year mission, on an alternate Earth, Kirk met intelligent apes Brutus, Cornelius, Zira, and others. Commander Kor secretly armed General Marius to encourage an alliance with the Klingon Empire. (TOS comic: "The Primate Directive")
In 2274, Kirk and Spock met the simian Hephaestans. Kirk described them in his log as "a friendly and intelligent, but naive, people." They were not natively intelligent, however. subcutaneous symbiont chips augmented their intelligence. Klingon Captain Kagg of the IKS Kluggoth intended to remove the Hephaestans' chips and the conquer the planet without interference by the Organians. (TOS comic: "All the Infinite Ways")
- TOS comic: "Beware the Beast"
- TOS comic: "Vibrations in Time"
- TOS comic: "The Perithees Alliance"
- TOS comic: "The Gods Have Come!"
- TOS comic: "All the Infinite Ways"
- TOS - The Primate Directive comics: "Issue 1", "Issue 2", "Issue 3", "Issue 4", "Issue 5"
- Apart from the Angomans, the Hephaestans and the intelligent Apes of the Alternate Earth, Ape-like or Primate Humanoid species include the Anthropoid Ape, the Ingavi, the Mugato, the Uk'lean, the Turraca, the Zeltok gorillas and Sozlok's species.The Vorta also believed to be the descendants of a small ape-like species