- For other uses, see Arrow.
An arrow was a type of weapon composed of a shaft, arrowhead and vanes.
The sport of shooting arrows is called archery.
An effective design was to make the point barbed. Medical treatment for an arrow injury once involved having to push the arrow all the way through the body. In the 23rd century, more advanced techniques were available. (TOS - Crew comic: "Shadows of the Past")
In 2265, rebel Muton natives led by Dalbar disguised themselves as jungle savages against invading frogmen by attacking with bows and arrows instead of directed energy weapons. (TOS comic: "Slaves of the Frogmen")
In 2269, McCoy performed a tracheotomy on Alan Huff, a security guard who had been shot in the throat with an arrow by a tribe of hominid Arivne on the planet Anomaly. Another security guard, Bounds had also been shot in the head by an arrow, but luckily his injury was not severe because the arrowhead struck him from an oblique angle and bounced off his skull. (TOS novel: Planet of Judgment)
Cultures using arrows
- Alixus colonists (DS9 episode: "Paradise")
- Arivne (TOS novel: Planet of Judgment)
- Clone society on Alpha Tau IV (TOS - Crew comic: "Shadows of the Past")
- Mintakan (TNG episode: "Who Watches the Watchers")
- Neuralese (TOS episode & Star Trek 10 novelization: A Private Little War)
- Nova XIII natives (TOS comic: "Nova-Thirteen")
- Xhosa (TOS - Unlimited comic: "As Flies to Wanton Boys")
- TOS episode & Star Trek 3 novelization: Friday's Child
- TOS episode & Star Trek 10 novelization: A Private Little War
- TNG episode: "Who Watches the Watchers"
- DS9 episode: "Paradise"
- VOY episode: "Basics"
- TOS comic: "Slaves of the Frogmen"
- TOS comic: "Nova-Thirteen"
- TOS comic: "The Animal People"
- TOS comic: "The Alone"
- NF novel: Lefler's Logs
- VAN novel: Declassified
- DS9 - Strange New Worlds 9 short story: "The Last Tree on Ferenginar: A Ferengi Fable From the Future"