As Flies to Wanton Boys was a 22-page Star Trek: The Original Series comic book story. It appeared in the fifth issue of Marvel Comics' anthology series Star Trek Unlimited along with the TNG story "Secret Lives". In this story, the shuttlecraft Armstrong crashed on the surface of an unexplored planet, stranding its crew.
- Ship's log, First Officer Spock recording
- A routine survey of the Vehtora system has detected an ancient but apparently advanced structure on the surface of the fourth planet...
A world previously presumed uninhabited.
We have informed Starfleet of the situation, and are beginning a thorough search, but we are now thwarted by a mysterious energy field that has surrounded the planet…
Attempts to beam a landing party down were inhibited by some form of atmospheric disruption, and now a shuttle, led by Captain Kirk, has disappeared as it entered the atmosphere.
- Captain's log, stardate 5993.2
- The Anabera colonists have been evacuated to Starbase 10 safely.
Our interlude on Vehtora Four has left Crewman Jameson dead and Mr. Chekov in sickbay, his condition serious but stable.
Dr. Bordell is to lead a Starfleet research mission to study the Xhosa and to determine if they really represent the threat the Dhauti monitor feared.
- Bordell • Pavel Chekov • Jameson • James T. Kirk • Leonard McCoy • Merson • Monitor • Montgomery Scott • Spock • Hikaru Sulu • Nyota Uhura
Starships and vehiclesEdit
Races and culturesEdit
States and organizationsEdit
Science and classificationEdit
- arrow • communicator • grenade • hatch • hologram • hypospray • nacelle • observation port • phaser bank • repeller screen • sensor • shield • transporter • tricorder • viewscreen
Ranks and titlesEdit
- admiral • anthropologist • captain • commander • doctor • Federation Starfleet ranks (2260s) • pilot • rank • Starfleet ranks
- assignment patch • atmosphere • beam • bird • bridge • captain's log, USS Enterprise (NCC-1701), 2270 • civilization • comet • deity • electromagnetism • evolution • fire • first officer's log, USS Enterprise (NCC-1701) • flower • galaxy • hour • log entry • meteor • minute • mountain • plasma • races and cultures • radiation • ship's log, USS Enterprise (NCC-1701) • sickbay • Starfleet uniform • Starfleet uniform (2265-2270) • Stone Age • technology • transporter room • tree
- Dhauti used genetic engineering to create the Xhosa species
- Dhauti built the Monitor
- Xhosa drove the Dhauti to extinction
- The title "As Flies to Wanton Boys" referred to a quote made by Kirk at the end of the story, "As flies to wanton boys, we are to the gods. They kill us for their sport". This phrase was written by William Shakespeare in King Lear, Act 4 Scene 1. (King Lear, Act 4 Scene 1 at The Complete Works of William Shakespeare website)
- TOS episode & Star Trek 10 novelization: The Galileo Seven – Montgomery Scott recalled his experiences aboard the Galileo (I) on Taurus II in 2267.
|Star Trek Unlimited comics|
|#1 ("Directives" & "Dying of the Light") • #2 ("Action of the Tiger" & "The Unkindest Cut") • #3 ("Message in a Bottle" & "Sins of the Fathers") • #4 ("None But the Brave" & "Inheritance") • #5 ("Secret Lives" & "As Flies to Wanton Boys ") • "Heart of Darkness" • "An Infinite Jest" • #8 ("The Boy", "The Warrior" & "The Veteran") • "Trekkers" • "A Piece of Reaction"|
#4: None But the Brave
#7: An Infinite Jest
|Star Trek: Unlimited||Next comic:|
Heart of Darkness
Dan Abnett and Ian Edginton
Heart of Darkness
None But the Brave
|Memory Beta Chronology||Next adventure:|
An Infinite Jest