Assimilation², Issue 2 is the untitled second issue of IDW Publishing's 2012 Star Trek: The Next Generation—Doctor Who crossover comic series, Assimilation². The issue consists of the second part of the miniseries, with story by Scott Tipton, David Tipton and Tony Lee. Issue art is by J.K. Woodward.
- 1 Publisher's description
- 2 Summary
- 3 References
- 4 Appendices
- 5 Timeline
- Captain Picard has requested that some members of the crew test a recent upgrade to the holodeck, a program that simulates life in 1941 San Francisco. There, they run into three mysterious strangers, one claiming to be a "Doctor", and they take them to the Captain. At that moment, a transmission comes in informing the team of the Borg/Cyberman attack, casting suspicion on the Doctor, who knows a little too much about the new enemy...
Data and Geordi have done a routine scan of Data's positronic brain. Data is at peak efficiency and they even have a philosophical conversation about the needs of upgrading each other in some form. However then Commander Riker and Captain Picard talk to one another about a mining operation on Naia VII. It is a water world inhabited by creatures called the Dai-ai. Commander Riker, Lt. Commander Data, and Lt. Worf beam to the planet. Starfleet needs new minerals and this planet Naia VII is a treasure trove of rare elements.
Unfortunately there is an accident which costs twenty-two injuries and eight deaths. Captain Picard speaks with Geordi to tell him that they have to operate in these strenuous environments because of the Borg. After the Battle of Wolf 359, the Federation must build up its defenses. However with the task completed, Captain Picard tells Commander Riker about a new Dixon Hill adventure in the Holodeck.
Data and Doctor Crusher join Commander Riker and a simulation of 1941 San Francisco is created. The trio head to a restaurant, but not before hearing the TARDIS' famous wheezing noise. The trio then encounter the Doctor and his companions who the crew believe to be faulty computer simulations. It is proven that the Doctor and the Ponds are not because the program ends and they along with the TARDIS still exist.
Soon Mr. Worf escorts their new mysterious guests to the captain who meets them in person. The Doctor introduces himself and he along with Picard shake hands. Commander Riker thinks that the Doctor might have some nefarious purpose in mind, but Counselor Troi confirms that the Doctor will not. They are all alerted by the attack on Delta IV, however, and so then the captain along with his crew, the Doctor, and his companions go to the bridge.
- Amato • Beverly Crusher • Data • The Doctor • Geordi La Forge • Ochoa • Alyssa Ogawa • Jean-Luc Picard • Amy Pond • William Riker • Seelos • Selar • Deanna Troi • Rory Williams • Worf
- Referenced only
- Noonien Soong
Starships and vehicles
- Borg cube • Borg sphere • Cyber-ship • USS Enterprise (Galaxy-class explorer) • TARDIS
- Referenced only
- USS Lassiter • USS Lexington
Stars and systems
Races and cultures
States and organizations
Science and classification
- android • artificial intelligence • computer • force field • hologram • isolinear chip • neural net • particle beam • phase discriminator • positronic brain • sensor • simulated gravity • telephone box • transporter • tricorder • VISOR
Materials and substances
- bilitrium • bread • carbon monoxide • dilithium • element • gin and tonic • kelbonite • mineral • water
Ranks and titles
- captain • chief engineer • chief of security • commander • doctor • engineer • lieutenant • lieutenant commander • number one
- 1941 • amphibian • Battle of Wolf 359 • distress signal • Dixon Hill (Picard Dixon Hill Seven) • Federation Starfleet ranks (2360s-2370s) • fish • foods and beverages • funeral • handshake • homeworld • hour • humanoid • journal • medical • mining • minute • month • mountain • ocean • orbit • planet • restaurant • security clearance • sourdough • space • Starfleet uniform (2366-2373) • star system • tree • warp factor (warp nine) • year
- 27 June 2012
- First released by IDW Publishing.
- 26 September 2012
- Collected in Assimilation², Volume 1. (ISBN 9781613774038)
- 5 November 2013
- Collected in the Assimilation² hardcover. (ISBN 9781613777824)
|Assimilation² crossover series|
|Volume 1||Issue 1 • Issue 2 • Issue 3 • Issue 4|
|Volume 2||Issue 5 • Issue 6 • Issue 7 • Issue 8|