In 2277, a group of archeologists on Varda III used a Vardan illusion machine to direct illusions toward Pavel Chekov and his landing party. When Chekov was not amused, one of Galen Tripp's scientists remarked that illusions based on Attila the Hun, Walt Disney or J.R.R. Tolkien might have worked better. (TOS - Plot-Your-Own Adventure Stories novella: Distress Call!)
- Phase II episode: "In Thy Image"
- TOS - Plot-Your-Own Adventure Stories novella: Distress Call!
- TOS - My Brother's Keeper novel: Enterprise
- TOS - The Yesterday Saga novel: Yesterday's Son
- DS9 novel: Far Beyond the Stars
- VOY novel: Homecoming