The Battle of Wolf 359 was the Federation's disastrous first fleet action against the Borg. It was part of the Borg Incursion of 2366-2367; the battle itself became synonymous with the star's name, and thus the battle eventually came to be known simply as "Wolf 359". (LD episode: "No Small Parts")
Sequence of events
In early 2367, (stardate 44002.3), a fleet of forty starships, under the command of Admiral J.P. Hanson, massed at Wolf 359, 7.8 light-years from Earth, in an attempt to halt a Borg cube en route to Earth. Using the knowledge of Captain Jean-Luc Picard, who had earlier been assimilated and given the designation "Locutus", the Borg destroyed 39 ships. The one-sided battle cost the Federation over 11,000 lives. (TNG episodes: "The Best of Both Worlds", "The Best of Both Worlds, Part II", DS9 episode: "Emissary", VOY short story: "Final Entry", TNG comic: "Second Contact"). Among the ships destroyed at the battle was one of the Federation's few Galaxy-class ships in active service at the time. (TNG novel: Vendetta)
- Startrek.com states that the battle did not last long enough for expected Klingon aid to arrive; however the Voyager comic Ghosts shows Klingon vessels participating in the battle.
During the fighting the USS Saratoga, trapped in the cube's tractor beam, was covertly boarded by Borg drones intent on killing or assimilating senior officers. However, a starship crew sent from 2409 by Q (Junior) defeated the drones, ensuring that the vessel's first officer Benjamin Sisko escaped the ship. (STO mission: "State of Q")
Rachel Aprile's tactics that she used against the Borg at the Battle of Wolf 359 convinced Starfleet to assign her to Starfleet Academy to oversee the Kobayashi Maru scenario. (DS9 short story: "Best Tools Available")
- See template below for ships known to have been lost in the Battle of Wolf 359, excepting the USS Endeavour (NCC-71805), which survived.
In a parallel universe, Jake Sisko died aboard the USS Saratoga during the battle, an event which destroyed his father Benjamin Sisko's Starfleet career, his marriage to Jake's mother Jennifer Sisko and almost Benjamin's will to live. (DS9 novel: Fearful Symmetry)
|Ships at the Battle of Wolf 359|
|Federation, Starfleet||USS Ahwahnee • USS Bellerophon • USS Bonestell • USS Buran • USS Chekov • USS Endeavour • USS Firebrand • USS Gage • USS Hoagland • USS Kadosca • USS Kyushu • USS Liberator • USS Melbourne (Excelsior-class) • USS Melbourne (Nebula-class) • USS Porksauce • USS Princeton • USS Righteous • USS Roosevelt • USS Saratoga • USS Star League • USS Tolstoy • USS Victory • USS Yamaguchi • USS Yorktown • unnamed Constitution class starships • unnamed Nova class starships|
|Borg Collective||Cube 632 (Locutus's cube)|
References and notes
- Star Trek Adventures - "Wolf 359" p. 48
- Battle of Wolf 359 article at Memory Alpha, the wiki for canon Star Trek.
- The Wolf 359 Research Project, which identifies and reconstructs ships lost at the Battle of Wolf 359 from production photos, interviews, and analysis of screen captures from "The Best of Both Worlds" and "Emissary", at Ex Astris Scientia.