"Behemoth, Part 2" was the 42nd issue of IDW Publishing's 2011 ongoing series of Star Trek comics, written by Mike Johnson. This is the second part of the Behemoth story arc, illustrated by Cat Staggs.
- Previously in Star Trek…
- While on their five-year mission into uncharted space, the USS Enterprise came upon a damaged alien vessel of an unknown origin. Discovering the injured pilot inside, Captain Kirk and the crew learned of a new threat of unprecedented power, shortly before that threat revealed itself to the Enterprise…
As Behemoth bears down on the USS Enterprise, its energy tendrils begin somehow breaking down the dilithium crystals in the warp core and absorbing them through the hull. Impulse engines are already at maximum power and they cannot escape the entity's grasp. Once Kirk is back aboard, he instantly orders the ship to jump to warp which, in spite of the monumental risks, allows them to escape.
As the Enterprise licks its wounds, the crew learns that their new friend calls himself "The Hunter" who tells them of Behemoth. The entity feeds on solar radiation to such an extent that it gorges itself on stars, leaving the empty systems to die, before, organically, warping off to its next meal.
At a staff meeting, Carol proposes that Behemoth only turned its attention on the Enterprise because it was "sampling a dish". As the crew debates the morals of killing the lifeform to ensure the survival of others, Behemoth catches up to them, drawing the Enterprise into itself to feed on the crystals.
As death seems certain, a shuttelcraft launches. The Hunter has loaded his ship with photon torpedoes and intends to use this unique opportunity to create a matter/anti-matter reaction from inside his foe. Though Kirk attempts to dissuade him, the alien is immovable instead insisting that his new friends save themselves. With no choice, Kirk orders the ship to warp as Behemoth dies and the shockwave from its death slams into them.
- Pavel Chekov • The Hunter • Keenser • James T. Kirk • Carol Marcus • Leonard McCoy • Montgomery Scott • Spock • Hikaru Sulu • Nyota Uhura • Zahra • USS Enterprise personnel
Starships and vehiclesEdit
- the galaxy's Alpha or Beta Quadrant
- Referenced only
- Earth • Hexel VII • Jemison-575 • sector 001 • Sol system
Races and culturesEdit
Technology and weaponsEdit
- hull • impulse engine • life support • photon torpedo • self destruct • starship • teleporter • translation algorithm • warp drive
States and organizationsEdit
- Starfleet (command division • operations division • sciences division) • United Federation of Planets
Ranks and titlesEdit
- captain • chief engineer • chief medical officer • commander • commanding officer • communications officer • doctor • engineer • exterminator • first officer • helmsman • lieutenant • lieutenant commander • officer • science officer • second officer • weapons officer
- alien • alternate reality • antimatter • captain's log • captain's log, USS Enterprise • clothing • communications • dilithium • energy • humanoid • lifeform • log entry • matter • races and cultures • rank • red alert • Russian language • science • space • stardate • Starfleet uniform • technology • time • title • uniform • universe • weapon
Related stories Edit
- TNG episode: "Silicon Avatar": The Enterprise crew debates whether a massive space-borne entity is an inherently evil creature or merely feeding.
- TOS episode: "The Doomsday Machine": The Hunter destroys Behemoth in the same manner that Decker attempted to destroy the eponymous Doomsday machine.
- VOY episode: "Caretaker": A massive shockwave hurls a Federation starship into, what is later revealed to be, the Delta Quadrant.
#41: Behemoth, Part 1
|The Original Series (IDW series)||next comic:|
#43: Eurydice, Part 1