Beta Lyra (or Beta Lyrae, 10 Lyrae or Sheliak) is a star system located in the galaxy's Alpha Quadrant, in Federation space at coordinates 5.37S 6.33E. This system was visible from Earth in the constellation of Lyra.
History and specifics[edit | edit source]
Beta Lyra is noted as a spectacle for astronomy, with six stellar bodies associated with the system. Passing travelers will often slow or make an approach course to observe the group of stars. (TAS episode & Log Ten novelization: The Slaver Weapon; scientific fact)
- The FASA RPG source material lists this as a "mixed" population, making it unclear whether it is a colony world or the homeworld of a native inhabitation that also hosts populations of other Federation member races and cultures.
- When Beta Lyrae was shown in ST reference: Star Charts, it was not color-coded as a Federation system. It is possible that, in the intervening time between the late-23rd century FASA RPG and the late-24th century depicted in Star Charts, the system had become disaffiliated or been abandoned. Another possibility rests on the large number of stellar bodies in the system, indicating that perhaps the settlement remains but the system's affiliation is not specified because another power (possibly the Sheliak, who share a name with this system) has disputed and/or partially or wholly co-opted the Federation's claim on part of the territory. It is also possible the two sources represent a divergence of continuity.
System makeup[edit | edit source]
Appendices[edit | edit source]
Connections[edit | edit source]
|Stars, systems and objects of the Lyra constellation|
|3 Lyrae (Alpha Lyrae, Vega) • 10 Lyrae (Beta Lyrae, Sheliak) • 14 Lyrae (Gamma Lyrae) • Aladfar (20 Lyrae, Eta Lyrae) • Alpha Lyrae (3 Lyrae, Vega) • Beta Lyrae (10 Lyrae, Sheliak) • Eta Lyrae (Aladfar, 20 Lyrae) • Gamma Lyrae (14 Lyrae) • Lyra Galaxy • Sheliak (10 Lyrae, Beta Lyrae) • Tau Lyra • Vega (3 Lyrae, Alpha Lyrae)|
|explored galaxy map|
|states and organizations||First Federation • Tholian Assembly|
|regions||Kling • Romulan Neutral Zone • Sarpeid|
|stars and systems||Aldeberan • Alpha Carinae • Alpha Centuri • Alpha Majoris • Beta Aurigae • Beta Geminorum • Beta Lyrae • Beta Niobe • Beta Portalan • Capella • Deneb • Eminiar • Fabrina • Gamma Trianguli • Ingraham B • Omega Cygni • Orion • Pallas 14 • Phylos • Regulus • Rigel • Sirius • Sol • Talos • Tau Ceti|
|planets and planetoids||Alfa 177 • Altair VI • Andor • Arret • Ariannus • Babel • Benecia • Berengaria VII • Camus II • Canopus III • Daran V • Gamma Canaris N • Holberg 917G • Janus VI • Kzin • Lactra VII • Makus III • Marcos XII • Marnak IV • Memory Alpha • Mudd • Omega IV • Organia • Pollux IV • Psi 2000 • Pyrix VII • Remus • Romulus • Theta III • Vulcan|
References[edit | edit source]
- TAS episode & Log Ten novelization: The Slaver Weapon
- FASA RPG module: The Federation
- ST reference: Star Charts
- explored galaxy map:
- TNG episode: "Conspiracy"
- TNG episode: "The Measure of a Man"
- TNG episode: "The Emissary"
- TOS movie: The Undiscovered Country
- TNG episode: "The Mind's Eye"
- TNG episode: "The Game"
- TNG reference: Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Continuing Mission
- DS9 episode: "In the Hands of the Prophets"
- DS9 episode: "Cardassians"