|This article or subsection has an associated category.||Betazed|
- 1 History and specifics
- 2 Appendices
History and specifics
The (ceremonial) ruling family of Betazed is the Fifth House of Betazed.
- The Last Unicorn RPG module: Planets of the UFP gives Betazed's capital as Medara. Rixx could be another name for Medara, or it has two capitals, but that is pure speculation. In addition, the FASA RPG module: Star Trek: The Next Generation Officer's Manual states that the home world of the Betazoids is called Haven II though canonical sources state its called Betazed.
According to Deanna Troi, the planet has a similar government to the one on planet Angel I (a constitutional oligarchy that has six elected women headed by another woman). (ST website: StarTrek.com, TNG episode: "Angel One")
The majority of the time, the weather is calm, pleasant, and bordering on tropical. But when the atmospheric conditions shift, they do so with startling speed. Betazed has a blue sky with pink clouds. There is a lot of farmland on Betazed, and cities that are devoted to philosophical studies.
Lake Cataria is a beautiful place on Betazed. Janaran Falls is a waterfall in the Jalara Jungle on Betazed. It is rare for anyone to travel any distance into the jungle. It has dangers such as mud pits, but there are very few dangerous animals. Bacarba Lake is a lake located on Betazed. The Valley of Song is located on Betazed. The northern cliffs in the Valley of Song is a popular location for scattering the ashes of deceased loved ones. The Loneel Mountains is a mountain range on Betazed. Loneel Valley is the caldera of an ancient volcano. It is honeycombed with tunnels and caves. High concentrations of fistrium in the rock prevented detection by sensors. There was a resistance stronghold in these mountains during the Dominion occupation of Betazed.
- The Yeht Fai-Tukh is of the T'Plana Hath-class, which was commissioned in 2053, and such ships were in operation as late as 2135.
Betazoids explored their home sector and maintained relations with several neighboring worlds; however, they had no knowledge of Humans and Vulcans in the years leading up to the founding of the Federation in 2161. (Decipher RPG module: Aliens)
Earth's Enterprise (NX-01) even flew past Betazed's home system within a few light-years, unaware of the civilization there due to limited sensor technology and the circumstances of their mission. (Decipher RPG module: Worlds)
Though they initially feared another conflict like with the Terabians, the Betazoids eventually saw the benefits in joining, and they became a quiet but visible component of Federation affairs by the 23rd century. However, they had to abolish the religious requirements of their matriarchal government before they could join. (Decipher RPG module: Worlds)
Betazed was finally admitted into the Federation at some point not long prior to 2246, as the 81st member world (Federation: The First 150 Years), after accepting its invitation for membership. Enamori Jenn was one of the first Betazoids to join Starfleet. (DSC novel: Drastic Measures) Betazoid involvement soon proved essential to negotiating a number of important agreements of the time, including the Second Khitomer Accords and the Treaty of Algeron in 2311. (Decipher RPG module: Aliens).
- The reference work Star Charts gives a much later membership-date of 2273, while the Last Unicorn RPG claims a date of 2294 for the same event, but they do not necessarily contradict. The two settings normally agree with each other, so it seems likely that it took around a century to make the necessary reforms to qualify for membership, and these conflicting dates may indicate different degrees of membership. Meanwhile, the FASA RPG module: Star Trek: The Next Generation Officer's Manual meanwhile says that the Betazoids were first encountered by the Federation nearly a century before its setting of circa 2364; i.e., after 2264. However, as it also says they came from Haven, and contradicts with the above sources, this is assumed to be incorrect.
The Dominion used Betazoid slave labor to construct Sentok Nor in orbit of Betazed. Sentok Nor was used as a Jem'Hadar breeding facility during the Dominion occupation. Starbase 19 is only a few hours at warp from Betazed.
Captain David Gold's son, Nathan, was visiting Ambassador Lwaxana Troi just as the Jem'Hadar attacked. Her assistant, Homn, was killed when the Dominion fired on the surface. However, the inhabitants fought back, and eventually rid the world of Dominion forces, but not until after suffering heavy casualties themselves. (ST - Tales of the Dominion War short story: "The Ceremony of Innocence is Drowned"; TNG novel: The Battle of Betazed)
- The novel The Battle of Betazed indicates many Betazoids perished during the Dominion invasion and occupation, and that four out of ten telepaths were killed during the final drive to push back the Jem'Hadar. However, this does not seem adequate to explain a more than 75% reduction in population between 2374 and 2377. Either one figure is mistaken, or there was another, unrevealed population exodus we are not aware of.
Betazed is a remarkably lush, beautiful world, sometimes described as "the jewel of the outer crown" by traders and other visitors. Its gravity and atmosphere are comparable to Earth, and water covers 78 percent of the planet's surface. (ST reference: The Worlds of the Federation)
High mountain peaks of multicolored crystal catch the rays of the Betazoid sun, throwing delicate layers of color upon the landscape. The soil possesses crystals of a faceted green mineral called versina. (ST reference: The Worlds of the Federation)
The Betazoid sky is blue with pink clouds. Climatic zones range from tropical to arctic, with temperatures averaging 23 degrees Celsius in summer and 13 degrees in winter. The majority of the time, the weather is calm and pleasant in most areas, but when atmospheric conditions shift, they do so with startling speed. Average rainfall in all zones is roughly one and a half times that of Earth, though some seasons are wetter and some drier. No weather-control technology is employed. (TNG episode: "Ménage à Troi", Last Unicorn RPG module: Planets of the UFP)
Great expanses of natural wilderness cover much of the planet, varying from dense jungles to wide canyons and cliffs. Much of the major continents are dotted with lakes, and the planet is home to thousands of forms of native wildlife. (Last Unicorn RPG module: Planets of the UFP)
Oceans, Seas and Lakes
- Opal Sea
- Thaxan Ocean
- Alarmante Sea
- Indar Ocean
- Lake Cataria
- Lake El-Nar
- Bacarba Lake
- Great Whirlpool
Continents (and Provinces)
- Loneel Valley
- Valley of Song
- Jalara jungle
- Hedayan Archipelago
- Khara Archipelago
Mountains and Volcanoes
Places of Interest
- Amick Hall
- Dalaria Spaceport
- Enaren University
- Janaran Falls
- Plaza of Contemplation
- University of Betazed
In an alternate timeline in which Khan Noonien Singh won the Eugenics Wars and Humanity underwent genetic engineering en masse, the Khanate of Earth conquered Betazed during the 21st century. The Betazoids remained helots of Humans well into the 24th century. (DS9 - Myriad Universes novel: Seeds of Dissent)
|planets visited by the USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-E)|
|Earth • Elamin IX • Algenib II • Salva IV • Chiaros IV • Kendaray • Denobula • Galor IV • Gornar • Betazed • Raknal V • Ba'ku • Halka • Primus IV • Gemworld • TaD • Blossom IV • Terra Galan • Bajor • Narendra III • Pelleus V • Solosos III • Davlos VI • Cygnet IV • Myrmidon • Tezwa • Kolarus III • Romulus • Tolochon II • Dokalaan homeworld • Dokaalan colony • Carrea • Delta Sigma IV • Gorsach IX • Trophy World • Ramatis III • Fromander IV • Vulcan|
- Last Unicorn RPG module: Raiders, Renegades & Rogues
- TNG movie: Generations star map hologram display graphic in stellar cartography