- This article is about a type of insect. You may be looking for STO - The Iconian War mission: "Butterfly".
A butterfly is a class of insect that are known for their bright-colored wings. Several varieties of butterfly have been seen throughout the galaxy, including Earth, Rigel X, Ba'ku and Risa. (TOS - The Janus Gate novel: Present Tense; ENT episode: "Broken Bow"; TNG movie: Insurrection; ST video game: Star Trek Online)
Additionally, the idiom "butterflies in the stomach" is often used to refer to a sense of nervousness; Captain Jean-Luc Picard noted the feeling when he was about to evade the Borg in order to return James T. Kirk to the Nexus in an alternate timeline. (Star Trek novel: Engines of Destiny)
The butterflies of Diad II evolved into the planet's dominant species and formed an intelligent group mind. Their collective consciousness lived dream lives. When personnel from the starship USS Enterprise visited the planet for shore leave, stray thoughts from the group mind overwhelmed them with hallucinations of fulfilled fantasies. (TOS - The New Voyages short story: "The Winged Dreamers")
- ENT episode: "Broken Bow"
- TNG movie: Insurrection
- TOS - The Janus Gate novel: Present Tense
- TOS - The New Voyages short story: "The Winged Dreamers"
- Star Trek novel: Engines of Destiny
- ST video game: Star Trek Online