The Chancellor of the High Council is the leader of the High Council of the Klingon Empire and is the head of government for the Klingon Empire. The Chancellor became the head of government for the Empire after the fall of the post of Emperor in the mid-21st Century. The Chancellor doubled as the head of state until the restoration of the imperial throne in 2369. In 2376, a line of Chancellor-class ships was produced by the Klingon Defense Force, each named in honor of previous chancellors.
Security[edit | edit source]
The Chancellor is protected at all times by the Yan-Isleth, a dedicated security force. However, many chancellors have been known to take command of Klingon Defense Force vessels and lead attacks personally:
- L'Rell led Klingon forces from her Klingon cleave ship during the fight against Control (DSC episode: "Such Sweet Sorrow")
- Gowron commanded the IKS Bortas in the Klingon Civil War (TNG episode: "Redemption")
- Martok led Klingon forces from his flagship during the Battle of Cardassia (DS9 episode: "What You Leave Behind")
History[edit | edit source]
When J'mpok lost popular support during the Klingon Civil War of 2411, he declared himself emperor. In his first act, Emperor J'mpok dissolved the High Council. At the time, the alliance between the Great Houses dissolved and the Klingon Empire shattered. (STO - Klingon Civil War mission: "Partisans")
List of office holders[edit | edit source]
- office established (21st century)
- Mow'ga (Second Klingon Empire era)
- Kapok (by 2098 and incumbent as of 2108)
- M'Rek (by 2151-2165)
- Khorkal (from 2165)
- Orak (from 2252)
- L'Rell (2257 and incumbent as of 2258)
- Durak (until 2260)
- Lorak (from 2260)
- Koval (2260s-2267)
- Sturka (2267-2270)
- Kesh (2270-2291)
- B'rak (2291-2292)
- Gorkon, son of Toq (2292-2393)
- Azetbur, daughter of Gorkon (2293-2311)
- Kaarg (2311-2323)
- Ditagh (2323-2334)
- Kravokh, son of J'Doq (2334-2346)
- K'mpec (2346-2367)
- Gowron, son of M'Rel (2367-2375)
- Martok, son of Urthog (2375-2393)
- J'mpok, son of Q'thoq (2393-2411)
- office abolished (2411)
Appendices[edit | edit source]
Connections[edit | edit source]
|Chancellors of the High Council of the Klingon Empire|
|primary universe||Mow'ga • Kapok • M'Rek • Khorkal • Sturka • Kesh • Durak • Orak • Koval • Lorak • B'rak • L'Rell • Gorkon, son of Toq • Azetbur, daughter of Gorkon • Kaarg • Ditagh • Kravokh, son of J'Doq • K'mpec • Gowron, son of M'Rel • Martok, son of Urthog • J'mpok|
|Kelvin timeline||Klingon Chancellor • Gorkon|
|Kelvin timeline (mirror)||Gorkon|
References[edit | edit source]
- TNG episode: "Rightful Heir"
- DS9 episode: "'Til Death Do Us Part"
- Decipher RPG module: Worlds
- ENT episode: "Broken Bow"
- ENT - Rise of the Federation novel: Live by the Code
- TOS video game: Klingon Academy
- ST reference: Federation: The First 150 Years
- TOS movie, novelization & comic adaptation: The Undiscovered Country
- TLE novel: Serpents Among the Ruins
- TLE novel: The Art of the Impossible
- TNG episode: "Reunion"
- DS9 episode: "Tacking Into the Wind"
- STO novel: The Needs of the Many
- STO - House Shattered mission: "Partisans"
[edit | edit source]
- Chancellor of the High Council of the Klingon Empire article at Memory Alpha, the wiki for canon Star Trek.