- This page details a counterpart of Constitution class in the Kelvin timeline; for the Constitution class in the primary universe see Constitution class; for the Constitution class in the mirror universe see Constitution class (mirror); for the Constitution class in the mirror universe of the Kelvin timeline see Constitution class (mirror) (Kelvin timeline); for the Constitution class in all other alternate universes see Constitution class (alternates).
The Constitution-class was a type of starship operated by the Federation Starfleet as a heavy cruiser and flagship in the 2250s of the Kelvin timeline created by the temporal displacement of the Narada. One notable member of the class was the USS Enterprise, which launched in 2258. TOS movie: Star Trek)
The class featured a saucer section connected by a neck on the rear of the saucer which ran down into the vessel's engineering hull. The primary hull contained the bridge on A-deck, officer and crew quarters on D and E-decks, a personnel transporter room on F-deck, and sickbay on G-deck. The saucer section was also fitted with six phaser battery placements, three dorsal and three ventral, with two batteries at each placement. The saucer section could also be separated in emergencies. The ship has a total of 36 decks, 17 at the saucer and 19 at the rest of the ship. (TOS website: Experience The Enterprise; TOS movie: Star Trek; TOS - I, Enterprise! comic: "I, Enterprise!, Part 1")
The secondary hull housed the ships' engineering facilities, with primary engineering control on N and O-decks, including the vessels' matter-antimatter injection mix warp core, which powered the vessels' warp drive and phasers. At the fore of the secondary hull was the class' navigational deflector, above which were twin type 4 photon torpedo launch tubes. R-deck included the ships' cargo bay and hangar bay, which could house sixteen shuttlecraft. The secondary hull also featured the classes pylons, connecting to twin model FWG-1 warp nacelles. (TOS website: Experience The Enterprise)
Like its contemporaries, the Arbiter-class, Defender-class, Guardian-class, and Interceptor-class, the Constitution-class could, in addition to its standard systems, be armed with quantum torpedoes, and the ability to temporal shift. (TOS video game: D-A-C)
The Constitution-class was designed by W. Matt Jefferies. Construction of the USS Enterprise was conducted at the Riverside Shipyard in Iowa on Earth, and was well underway by 2255. The Enterprise was also built at the San Francisco Fleet Yards, and had been launched into space by 2258. Her maiden voyage took place in that year, prematurely due to her being called into action in response to the Narada's attack on Vulcan. (TOS website: Experience The Enterprise; TOS movie & novelization: Star Trek)
This Enterprise replaced the USS Enterprise (NCC-1701), a Constitution-class ship in service from the 2230s decade until its decommissioning in 2257. (TOS - Countdown to Darkness comic: "Countdown to Darkness, Number Two")
The Constitution design influenced the Aegis-class cruiser, also newly launched in 2258. (TOS video game: Bridge Crew) The two classes were so similar that the Aegis-class cruiser USS Endeavour could be temporarily transformed into a Constitution-class flagship in the early 2260s. (TOS - Boldly Go comic: "Issue 11")
The Enterprise was relaunched with modifications to its warp nacelles and impulse engines in 2260, following a year-long refit. (TOS movie: Star Trek Into Darkness) At least one other ship active in the same year, the USS Yorktown, remained in the launch configuration. (STO - Future Proof mission: "Terminal Expanse")
Another refit occurred at the beginning of 2263. Unfortunately, during its first mission in the new configuration, the reconfigured Enterprise was destroyed by Krall's Altamid swarm ships in the Battle of Altamid.
In a timeline where the Enterprise was lost in 2263, the Dominion conquered local space in the 24th century. Q allowed the Kelvin timeline version to visit this future and return to its native era, but the alternate future persisted. (TOS - The Q Gambit comics: "Part 3", "Part 5", "Part 6")
When incursions caused by the Na'kuhl and the Sphere Builders of the primary universe interacted with this timeline, ships from the Kelvin timeline fell into the hands of the Lobi Crystal Consortium. This included the original configuration of the Constitution class. Through the Kelvin timeline lock box, a vessel of this type could be obtained by Federation-aligned Alpha Quadrant Alliance officers in 2410. The technology was a match for the 25th century, despite the Kelvin timeline being 150 years downtime. Do differentiate the larger, alternate Constitution class from the primary Constitution-class version, its starship classification was recorded as the Kelvin timeline heavy command cruiser. (STO website: Kelvin Timeline Lockbox and Lobi Ships)
In early 2411, the Starfleet portion of the Khitomer Alliance launched legendary starship configurations of historically notable vessels. Having learned of events in the Kelvin timeline up to the year 2263, the Constitution class received an upgrade to become the legendary Kelvin timeline intel battlecruiser. While the heavy command cruiser's limited availability remained in place, the new intel battlecruiser could be mass-produced by Starfleet. The intel battlecruiser was available in the 2258 launch configuration, and as the 2263 refit with smaller nacelles and other modifications. (STO website: Legendary Kelvin Timeline Intel Battlecruiser)
In one permutation of the mirror universe, the ISS Enterprise heavy cruiser, active in 2259, appeared like a prime universe Enterprise-class refit ship instead of the contemporary Kelvin timeline design. (TOS - Mirrored comics: "Part 1", "Part 2")
In a different permutation of the mirror universe, the ISS Enterprise (ICC-1701) was a Terran Empire starship, a Constitution-class heavy cruiser in Imperial Starfleet service in 2263. The hull was black with both its deflector dish and running lights glowing red. (TOS - Live Evil comics: "Part 1", "Part 2", "Part 3")
Also in 2263, another version of the ISS Enterprise, accidentally traded places with the USS Enterprise in the Neutral Zone during a transport and an ion storm. While in the Kelvin timeline, this Enterprise disguised itself as the USS Enterprise. (ST video game: Fleet Command missions: "Mirror, Mirror Part 1", "Mirror, Mirror Part 2", "Mirror, Mirror Part 3")
|This article or subsection has an associated category.||Constitution class starships (Kelvin timeline)|
- The Experience The Enterprise website identifies the USS Enterprise as a heavy cruiser, while the video game D-A-C classifies members of the Constitution-class as flagships.
- The movie Star Trek features the launch of the USS Enterprise in 2258. While it is not known whether other Constitution class vessels may have already launched at this time it is notable that the class marks a new style of Starfleet design, with all other ships seen in the film built from components similar in design to the much older USS Kelvin, which would seem to indicate the Constitution-class is at the very least a relatively new design at this point.
- The USS Enterprise dimensions, weight, and crew complement are given on the Experience The Enterprise website.
- The Enterprise's shuttle complement is given on the Experience The Enterprise website. The video game D-A-C includes a feature allowing a player to launch an "escape pod" when their ship is about to be destroyed, permitting them to respawn and continue playing quicker. The escape pod design for all Federation ships in the game is a military shuttle.
- In D-A-C starship names are selected and allocated at random. The game features eleven Federation starship names which are assigned randomly to all classes of ships in the game. All Constitution-class names from D-A-C are therefore also known as the names of vessels of the four other Starfleet classes in the game.
|Variants and sub-classes of the Constitution-class starship|
|Constitution-class (mk I) • Bonhomme Richard-class (mk II) • Achernar-class (mk III) • Tikopai-class (mk IV) • Enterprise-classes (mk I-III refits) • Excalibur-class (24th century) • Vesper-class (24th century) • Exeter-class (25th century) • Constitution-class (31st century) • Constitution-class (Kelvin timeline) • Constitution-class (mirror universe)|
|Starfleet starship classes |
|Federation Starfleet||Aegis • Antares • Arbiter • Armstrong • Constitution • Defender • Dreadnought • Einstein • Freedom • Guardian • Heisenberg-type • Hermes • Interceptor • Intrepid • Loknar • Mayflower • Newton • neutronic fuel carrier • NX • Realta • Saladin • Salcombe-type • Turas|
|Constitution (mirror) (Constitution (Kelvin timeline) • Enterprise)|