The Daystrom Institute was a scientific research and teaching organization, one of the most respected institutions in the Federation. Named for Dr. Richard Daystrom, the Daystrom Institute supported research and development in the fields of warp propulsion, cybernetics, astrophysics, archeology, and many others. The Daystrom Institute had several annexes across Federation space, including one at Galor IV.
When it came to artificial lifeform self-awareness and full sentience, even the experts at the Daystrom Institute were unsure where the line was between mimicking self-awareness and actually achieving it. (DS9 novel: Valhalla)
In 2294, the Institute produced a study for consideration by Starfleet Command about the suitably of starship captains leading landing parties. This in part was based on the results produced by the M-9 computer after it was fed data on hundreds of landing party assignments, and in only 10% of cases did it indicate that it was correct for a commanding officer to accompany a landing party. (TOS novel: The Captain's Daughter)
By the year 2387, the Institute along with famed engineer Geordi La Forge were responsible for the creation of the Jellyfish, an experimental craft for exploratory missions that was designed with trans-metaphasic shielding. (ST website: The Path to 2409)
In the 2390s, the Institute (or at least one major Institute facility) was located in Okinawa, Japan, on Earth. Dr. Agnes Jurati worked there in the Division of Advanced Synthetic Research. (PIC episode: "Remembrance")
- The DS9 - The Lives of Dax short story: "Infinity" establishes the Daystrom Institute existed as early as 2284. This is only sixteen years after the events of TOS episode: "The Ultimate Computer".
Notable Projects and Accomplishments
Researchers and Instructors
- Leah Brahms, Professor of Theoretical Physics ; Director (alternate reality) 
- Lahra, fellow, transwarp project 
- Nilani Kahn, scientist, transwarp project 
- Pokano, professor, transwarp project 
- Devereaux, cybertech intern 
- Elias Frobisher, Omega 9 project 
- Ira Graves, instructor and researcher (Galor IV) 
- Anthony Haftel, Chief of Starfleet Cybernetics Research (Galor IV) , 
- Agnes Jurati 
- Astrid Kemal 
- David Kendrow, Omega 9 project 
- Bruce Maddox, Chairman of Robotics , , , 
- Seven of Nine 
- Noonien Soong (Galor IV) 
- Marius Bethom, genetics (Alpha Sigma IX) 
- Christopher, genetics (Alpha Sigma IX) 
- Glenn Hauman, protomatter 
- Kolb, Project Nexus 
- Jacqueline LaSalle 
- Carol Marcus, fellow 
- Murial Paquinn, sensor array linguist 
- Benjamin Sisko (alternate timeline) 
- Stonn 
- Vash, councilor, Daystrom Institute Archeological Council 
- J. Whales, professor 
- Leah Brahms , , 
- Paul Chapman, systems engineering 
- Sen Dolla, advanced engineering 
- Ellen Henricksen 
- Velissa Kerrigan, astrophysics 
- David Marcus 
Facilities and annexes
- Advanced Supercomputing Annex (Starfleet Academy) 
- Daystrom Cybernetics Institute 
- Daystrom Institute Annex (Galor IV) , , , 
- Daystrom Institute, Alpha Sigma IX (Alpha Sigma IX) 
- Daystrom Institute of Cybertechnology (Noxon Martina IV) 
- Daystrom Station 
- Division of Advanced Synthetic Research (Okinawa, Japan) , 
- Soong Foundation annex (Omicron Theta) , 
- Daystrom Building and Science Annex (Starfleet Academy) 
- Daystrom Institute, Montana (Earth) 
- Daystrom University 
- Terran Academy of Sciences (Titan) 
- Star Trek Adventures RPG module: The Sciences Division
- TNG episode & novelization: All Good Things...
- DS9 - The Lives of Dax short story: "Infinity"
- NF novel: Gods Above
- TNG - Double Helix novel: Double or Nothing
- Decipher RPG module: Worlds
- TNG episode: "The Offspring"
- PIC episode: "Remembrance"
- TNG novel: Infiltrator
- Last Unicorn RPG module: Starfleet Academy Handbook
- TNG episode: "Data's Day"
- STO novel: The Needs of the Many
- NF novel: Stone and Anvil
- TNG novel: The Genesis Wave, Book 1
- TNG novel: The Stuff of Dreams
- TOS novel: The Case of the Colonist's Corpse
- TNG - Slings and Arrows novel: The Oppressor's Wrong
- DS9 novel: Fearful Symmetry
- TOS - Strange New Worlds 9 short story: "The Smallest Choices"
- DS9 reference: Legends of the Ferengi
- TNG episode: "Booby Trap"
- Last Unicorn RPG module: Starfleet Academy Handbook addendum
- Star Trek Adventures RPG module: The Operations Division
- Last Unicorn RPG module: Star Trek: The Next Generation Players' Guide
- TOS - Strange New Worlds IV short story: "A Little More Action"
- Last Unicorn RPG module: The First Line: Starfleet Intelligence Handbook
- TNG - Shattered Light novel: The Embrace of Cold Architects
- Last Unicorn RPG module: Planets of the UFP
- TNG - Strange New Worlds VI short story: "The Soft Room"
- PIC novel: The Last Best Hope
- Last Unicorn RPG module: Star Trek: The Next Generation Core Game Book
- Last Unicorn RPG module: The Price of Freedom
- Last Unicorn RPG module: A Cadet's Guide to Sector 001 Earth