Tobin Dax and Skon of Vulcan have to save a human ship and the prototype transporter from Romulans.
- Tobin Dax • Burgwin • Heyes • Jarman • Mira Laasa • Katie Lo • Monsees • Skon • Williams • unnamed Romulans
- Referenced only
- Lela Dax • Wild Bill Hickok • Solkar
Starships and vehicles
Races and cultures
States and organizations
- 99 Great Card Tricks You Can Learn in Your Spare Time • airlock • antimatter • artificial gravity • bomb • bridge • cargo hold • chronometer • computer core • "Dead Man's Hand" • deck • deflector • disruptor • Earth-Romulan War • engineering • EVA suit • gamma shift • hull • intermix chamber • Jefferies tube • padd • pattern buffer • playing card • poker • rebreather • running light • scanner • solar wind • thruster • transporter • warp core • warp drive • warp nacelle
- Jeffrey Lang commented "We all often talk about how the Trek universe is such a positive view of the future, but we also all know that this imagined future has its roots in the very real present. How did this world - our world - become that world? It didn't all start out being bright and shiny. There had to be some grungy, unpleasant moments in there where ideas and attitudes were tested and tempered". (Star Trek: Communicator, issue #126, p. 60)
- Internal references set this story during the Earth-Romulan War. Star Trek: Enterprise (and in particular the episode "Daedalus") contradict this timeframe. The Enterprise Romulan War novels feature both Tobin Dax and Skon based on "Dead Man's Hand", ignoring the contradiction.
|The Lives of Dax
The Great Starship Race
Starfleet: Year One