- For other uses, see Eye of the Beholder.
"Eye of the Beholder" is a six-page original backup story in New Visions, Volume 2, an omnibus of John Byrne's New Visions comic series. It was published in June 2015 and celebrates early issues of Gold Key Comics.
- Back cover
- John Byrne presents all-new, feature-length tales set in the Star Trek: The Original Series universe, done in a unique, one-of-a-kind photomontage style... Also includes... an all-new bonus take fans of the original Gold Key comics will love!
- Captain's log, stardate 3234.6 ... stardate unknown.
- Returning from a routine diplomatic mission to the planet Vandros VII, I find myself facing the unknown, and realize my best move is to play along until I learn what has happened to me!
While on Vandros VII, rebels shoot James T. Kirk and his landing party with a weapon that induces imaginative delusions. Kirk thinks he has beamed aboard an alternate reality USS Enterprise that has an enormous teleportation chamber, is powered by rocket engines, and has a different bridge design. Spock's ears are more prominent, and Montgomery Scott has an entirely different face.
Kirk discovers that the ship is about to annihilate all life on a planet's surface. When he orders Hikaru Sulu to stop, Spock arrests Kirk as an alien imposter. Kirk steals a laser pistol from a security guard and shoots the laser cannon firing controls, but the panel overloads and knocks him out.
- Arex Na Eth • James T. Kirk • Christine Chapel • Leonard McCoy • Janice Rand • Montgomery Scott • Spock • Hikaru Sulu • Nyota Uhura
Starships and vehiclesEdit
Races and culturesEdit
States and organizationsEdit
Technology and weaponsEdit
- brain ray • galaxy • hypospray • laser cannon • laser pistol • phaser • space • star • transporter circuit • turbolift • viewscreen
Ranks and titlesEdit
- assignment patch • brain • bridge • bridge crew • delusional • Great Galaxies • imagination • landing party • logic • mind meld • minute • science • Security Unit • sickbay • Standard Operating Procedures • Starfleet uniform • Starfleet uniform (2265-2270) • star happy • Thank the nine spheres • teleportation chamber • universe • Why in the name of space
- This was an extra story included in the New Visions, Volume 2 collection.
- This story was a homage to the old Gold Key Star Trek comic series and the various inconsistencies there were between it and the television series such as the different appearances of such sets as the transporter room and the bridge as the artist was never shown any photos or depictions of the ones in the show, or the appearances of the characters. (Montgomery Scott now being a different looking blond haired male). The same goes for the dialogue in the comics with everyone addressing doctor McCoy as "Bones" such as Spock and Janice Rand and not just James T. Kirk. There was also a lot of "Space slang" which also featured in this story despite that none of these expressions were actually used on the series. (They fitted more the tone of writing found in general science fiction comics and books at the time and were most likely used as the writers may believed that Star Trek was similar to those.)
- The final panel is a homage to Star Trek: The Animated Series. Arex appeared, but as a hallucination.
- Kirk's visions seem related to events at the end of TOS comic: "The Planet of No Return", the first issue of Gold Key Comics, when the Enterprise fired on the planet K-G. That story also showed Janice Rand wearing a red cap.
- TOS - Waypoint comic: "The Menace of the Mechanitrons" – A TOS story depicted in the style of Gold Key Comics and published in 2016.
- TOS comic: "The Planet of No Return" – In 2266, the USS Enterprise destroyed all life on planet K-G.
New Visions, Volume 1
(New Visions omnibus)
New Visions, Volume 3