The late 2270s saw yet another major change in uniform style and rank. The uniform consisted of a maroon jacket with a frontal placket that was affixed in place by a shoulder strap that denoted department and rank. Rank was determined by a pin, that varied with each rank. The rank pin was also affixed to a specific location on the sleeve of the jacket, next to another strap that had pins that denoted years of service within Starfleet. This rank system stayed in use until the 2350s when Starfleet retired the uniform style in favor of a utilitarian one piece jumpsuit.
These stylized rank markings continued to be used until around the year 2350 on the USS Stargazer. By the year 2355, Stargazer personnel had switched to a new issue of uniforms and insignia. (TNG episodes: "Family", "The Battle")
|departmental color codes|
(admin, pilot, engineer)
(ops, science & tactical)
Sometimes, a crewmember or officer may wear a special insignia that shows their proficiency in a specialty or their leadership of their detachment.
For example, a command specialist who also has a specialty in science-operations can wear the white uniform tabs of their command discipline with an angular slash of the gray color of a sciences-operations uniform tab.
Conversely, a department head can wear the uniform tab color of their service division, with a white slash to denote their seniority in that division's leadership.
- While it was intended that the shoulder strap and sleeve band would match, some slash pieces were omitted in canon productions due to the complexity of organizing the reuse of preexisting uniform pieces. In particular, costumer notes on how the colors would be used had Saavik wear grey sci-ops slashes on her command-white shoulder strap and sleeve band in The Search for Spock, but the shoulder slash ended up being omitted.
In addition to the array of enlisted, officer and flag officer insignia, there are also variations to distinguish those who are undergoing instruction. A red division tab or collar denotes a trainee who holds only provisional status or rank. The red insignia can be further denoted with a specialty-color slash to show personnel specialty. Conversely, an instructor may wear their normal divisional uniform with red bands to show their responsibility as a teacher.
- While it was intended that the collar, shoulder strap and sleeve band would all match, some slash pieces were omitted in canon productions due to the complexity of organizing the reuse of preexisting uniform pieces. In particular, Valeris had her trainee insignia omitted altogether despite wearing a trainee collar. According to the original costumer notes on how the colors would be used, Saavik wore white command slashes on her trainee-red shoulder strap and sleeve band in The Wrath of Khan, but the shoulder slash was not included in some scenes.
|Federation Starfleet rank eras|
|2160s • 2230s • 2240s-2260s • 2260s • 2270s • 2278-2350s • 2350s-2360s • 2360s-2370s • 2370s-2380s • early 2380s • 2386-2400s • 29th century • 32nd century • alternate histories: alternate reality 2250s • alternate reality 2390s/2400s|
|See also: Federation Starfleet ranks • United Earth Starfleet ranks • MACO ranks|
- Rank name and insignia described in TOS movie: The Wrath of Khan costume designer notes.
- Samno. (TOS movie: The Undiscovered Country)
- Rank name and insignia from ST reference: The Star Trek Encyclopedia.
- MCPO Janice Rand. (TOS movie: The Voyage Home)
- Ensign Jean-Luc Picard (TNG episode: "Tapestry")
- Ensign Cortin Zweller (TNG episode: "Tapestry")
- Ensign Marta Batanides (TNG episode: "Tapestry")
- Rank name and insignia from TOS comic: "Who's Who in Star Trek, Issue 2".
- Lieutenant Junior Grade Saavik (TOS movie: The Search for Spock)
- Janice Rand (TOS movie: The Undiscovered Country)
- Lieutenant Junior Grade Nina Popov (TOS comic: "Class Reunion")
- Lieutenant Ian Troi (TNG episode: "Dark Page")
- Lieutenant Commander Lojur (TOS movie: The Undiscovered Country)
- Valeris (TOS movie: The Undiscovered Country)
- Commander Hikaru Sulu (TOS movie: The Wrath of Khan)
- Commander Nyota Uhura (TOS movie: The Wrath of Khan)
- Commander Leonard McCoy (TOS movie: The Wrath of Khan)
- Captain Spock (TOS movie: The Wrath of Khan)
- Captain Montgomery Scott (TOS movie: The Search for Spock)
- Admiral James T. Kirk (TOS movie: The Wrath of Khan)
- Commander-in-Chief William Smillie. (TOS movie: The Undiscovered Country)