Lela Dax, a newly joined Trill woman and member of the Trill ruling council, defies her fellow legislators when an unknown alien vessel appears in orbit and refuses to leave.
Summary[edit | edit source]
Lela Dax has been called to the Trill space center, where she finds the scientists in an uproar. The cause is an alien ship that has arrived in orbit. While Trill made first contact with the Vulcans decades earlier, the arrival of any alien vessel is an unexpected event. Trill sends a message to the alien vessel to leave, but Lela is keen to find out the reason that the aliens have come to their world. Contact with the aliens is difficult, and just after Lela tries to talk with them, the aliens attack Trill and steal acelon from a processing centre. Lela asks for information on the aliens from T'Pau of Vulcan.
References[edit | edit source]
Characters[edit | edit source]
Starships and vehicles[edit | edit source]
Locations[edit | edit source]
Races and cultures[edit | edit source]
States and organizations[edit | edit source]
- Guardians of the Caves of Mak'ala • Symbiosis Evaluation Board • Trill Council • Trill Diplomatic Corps • Trill Spaceflight Center
Other references[edit | edit source]
- acelon • first contact • holo • IDIC • planetary defense grid • Trill councillor • Vulcan emissary • Vulcan salute • World War III
Appendices[edit | edit source]
Background information[edit | edit source]
- Kristine Kathryn Rusch commented "I was working in a relatively uncharted part of Trek history. I didn't have much lore to go on, and we don't know a lot about Trill. So I made some things up, and I worried about that. I needn't have worried , I guess. Everything went through very well". (Star Trek: Communicator, issue #126, p. 60)
- In the story, T'Pau describes Vulcan's "most recent encounter" with a new race, clearly describing humans and the events of that first contact in 2063. It was left unclear exactly how "recent" this was, but given the repeated references to Lela's youth, it is reasonable to place this story fairly close to that event. The timeline in Voyages of Imagination gives the year as 2075.
Related stories[edit | edit source]
- "Facets" - Lela's position on the Council was established in the episode.
- "Amok Time" - T'Pau's first appearance.
- "The Host" (TNG episode)
- Star Trek: First Contact (movie)
[edit | edit source]
Connections[edit | edit source]
Second star to the right...
|The Lives of Dax
Dead Man's Hand