Fleet Admiral (five star admiral) is the highest attainable Flag officer rank in many militaries, most notably Earth Starfleet and its Federation counterpart. One Fleet Admiral at a time is given the title Commander in Chief.
In 2254, while examining damage to Project Pharos, Dermot Cusack remarked "That's disruptor work, or I'm a fleet admiral", which Number One agreed with, but considered Cusack holding the rank a "ghastly notion". (EV comic: "The Fires of Pharos")
|Enlisted ranks||Commissioned ranks||Flag ranks|
||CDORE||RADM / 2ADM||VADM / 3ADM||4ADM||FADM / 5ADM
|Starfleet & SFMC||ENS JG
||LT JG||LT||LT CMDR||CDR||CDORE
|1ST LT||CAPT||MAJOR||LT COL||COL||BRIG||GEN|
Positions and Lists
- Harry Morrow, Commander Starfleet
- Cartwright, Commander Starfleet
- Robert Bennett, Commander Starfleet
- William Smillie, Starfleet Commander-in-Chief
- Margaret Sinclair-Alexander, Starfleet Commander-in-Chief
- Edward Jellico, Starfleet Commander-in-Chief
- Leonard James Akaar, Starfleet Commander-in-Chief
- Jean-Luc Picard (War of the Prophets timeline)
- Alynna Nechayev
- Ian Kyle Riker
- Taela Shanthi
- Karis Tatenen
Dates listed are first appearance or mention at that rank except as noted.
- In the 2160s, Federation Starfleet has five chief of staffs, each the senior-most officer of their branch.
- Jorel Quinn, Grigori Yanishev and T'nae are fleet admirals. Quinn operates from Earth Spacedock, Yanishev from Starbase 24, and T'nae from Starbase 39-Sierra, respectively.
- Leonard James Akaar remains fleet admiral but is no longer the commander in chief.
- Kererek becomes fleet admiral of the nascent Romulan Republic and has an office on New Romulus.
In ST video game: Conquest, fleet admiral is used for advanced Starfleet commanders who have completed their full admiral experience points in Federation gameplay, with the graphic reflecting the "five-star" rank insignia dating back to the US military forces all the way to Starfleet.
- Fleet admiral article at Memory Alpha, the wiki for canon Star Trek.
- Fleet admiral article at Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.