Description[edit | edit source]
- The Klingons say: "Four thousand throats may be cut in a single night by a running man." But where does the saying come from? Kang—captain, husband, Dahar Master—tells three different versions of the story at three key points in his life.
References[edit | edit source]
Characters[edit | edit source]
- Fron'chak • John Harriman • J'Laq • Jurva • Kang • Kralos • Kraviq • Krim • Mara • Mazka • Ralkror • Demora Sulu • Tork • Torvid • Tygrak • Ylda
- Referenced only
- Dax, son of Kang • Kahless the Unforgettable • James T. Kirk • Koloth • Kor • Qagh • Hikaru Sulu
Starships and vehicles[edit | edit source]
Locations[edit | edit source]
Races and cultures[edit | edit source]
States and organizations[edit | edit source]
Other references[edit | edit source]
Appendices[edit | edit source]
Related media[edit | edit source]
- Errand of Mercy (TOS episode) — The first story's framing-sequence takes place shortly after the events of that episode, with references to the Organians enforcing a stop to the war from that episode.
- Day of the Dove (TOS episode) — Kang and Mara first appeared in this episode.
- Blood Reign O'er Me (TOS comic) — The ship name IKS Voh'tahk and the crew members Fron'chak and Jurva come from this fourth issue of the Klingons: Blood Will Tell.
- Blood Oath (DS9 episode) — The death of Kang's first-born (along with those of Kor and Koloth) was established in this episode, as was Kang's hunt for his killer, the Albino, including his taking in of "one of the Albino's discarded wives."
- Excelsior: Forged in Fire (TOS Excelsior novel) — The background for "Blood Oath," Qagh's name was established in this novel, as was Ylda's.
- Mere Anarchy: The Blood-Dimmed Tide (TOS novella) — The name of Kang's Klingon battlecruiser, the IKS K'tanco, was first officially established in this novella, although the name canonically originates in a deleted scene from the DS9 episode "The Sword of Kahless."
- Star Trek: Generations (TOS/TNG movie) — John Harriman and Demora Sulu of the USS Enterprise-B were established in this film.
- Serpents Among the Ruins (The Lost Era novel) — Demora ascending to the position of first officer of the Enterprise-B was established in this novel.
- Diplomatic Implausibility (TNG novel) — The story of Krim and the battle at Goqlath Castle was first referenced in this novel.
Images[edit | edit source]
Connections[edit | edit source]
Timeline[edit | edit source]
The story consists of three short stories, each with their own framing story, placing events in six different time periods. The book opens in 2267, shortly after "Errand of Mercy", which frames a flashback to events seven years previous. The story then skips ahead through Kang's life to 2310, seventeen years after The Undiscovered Country—Kang has just returned from a mission, and informs his wife of recent events in the flashback story. The final story is framed in 2370, shortly before "Blood Oath," with a flashback to a story from the age of Kahless.
|Alien Spotlight||Next comic:|
A Singular Destiny
Keith R.A. DeCandido
The Unhappy Ones
Against Their Nature
|Memory Beta Chronology||Next adventure:|
The City on the Edge of Forever
|The above chronology placements are based on the primary placement in 2267.|
The Memory Beta Chronology places events from this story in 4 other timeframe(s):
Chapters 10, 16, 17, 18 & 19
Iron and Sacrifice
Sections 8, 12, 13 & 16-18
Serpents Among the Ruins
Pages 15 & 22
Even numbered chapters
|"in the days of Kahless"
The Romulan Way