From Sputnik to Warp Drive was an original three-page Gold Key Comics story published in the omnibus The Enterprise Logs, Volume 4 in 1977. Notably, it was written by Doug Drexler and was the first licensed content entirely devoted to the future history of Star Trek, predating Spaceflight Chronology by three years. It was the last of four original Gold Key stories which appeared only in omnibus publications.
Description[edit | edit source]
- A brief history of interstellar travel.
Summary[edit | edit source]
Heralding humanity’s drive for exploration, Earth launched Sputnik 1 in 1957, landed on the moon in 1969, then in the 1980s and 1990s perfected the space shuttle and the International Space Station. Colonization of the solar system began with the development of the DY-100-class sleeper ship, but became outdated with the design of impulse drive that led to colonies on Mars and deep space research stations built on other moons.
Zefram Cochrane’s recent development of warp drive successfully halted a Kzinti invasion and led to their surrender. The first United Earth Space Probe Agency space survey was undertaken by the SS Bonaventure, which was lost on her third voyage. Cultural exchange programs began less than half a century later between Earth and Vulcan, leading to the ratification of the articles of government for the United Federation of Planets. Regular commercial space lanes were planned. Growth led to the need for a new type of vessel to realize the dream of the future: the Constitution-class starship.
References[edit | edit source]
Characters[edit | edit source]
- Neil Armstrong • Christine Chapel • Zefram Cochrane • Pavel Chekov • James T. Kirk • Leonard McCoy • Spock • Hikaru Sulu • Nyota Uhura
Starships and vehicles[edit | edit source]
- Apollo 11 • SS Bonaventure • Constitution-class heavy cruisers • DY-100 • Sputnik 1 • International Space Station • Lunar Excursion Module • Kzinti warship • sleeper ship • Space shuttle
Locations[edit | edit source]
Races and cultures[edit | edit source]
States and organizations[edit | edit source]
- Martian Colonies • NASA • United Earth Space Probe Agency • United Federation of Planets • United States of America
Science and technology[edit | edit source]
Other references[edit | edit source]
- 1957 • 1980s • 1990s • 2000 • 2050 • Articles of the Federation • commerce • Federation banner 2260s • Fundamental Declarations of the Martian Colonies • IDIC • Starfleet uniform (2265-2270) • star lanes
Appendices[edit | edit source]
Related media[edit | edit source]
- TOS reference: Spaceflight Chronology
- ST reference: Star Trek Chronology
- ST reference: Federation: The First 150 Years
Background[edit | edit source]
- This was the first published history of the Federation, albeit a short one. It included TOS as well as TAS references.
- A United Earth Space Probe Agency uniform was seen. It was similar to the Starfleet uniform (2240s-2265), with a larger turtleneck, longer tunic, black belt, and a Starfleet delta badge atop a circle. The crew of the SS Bonaventure wore this uniform, as well as a person shaking hands with a Vulcan. The Vulcan wore a cape, green tunic and an IDIC medallion.
- A 21st century Kzinti invasion of Sol mentioned in TAS episode: "The Slaver Weapon" was depicted, with three Kzinti warships seen from a distance. The assault was thwarted by DY-style starships equipped with an early warp drive. These Earth starships may have been an example of the DY-500, DY-700, DY-1100 class, or another class.
- Circa 2000, an early lunar colony was revealed, along with a small spacecraft.
Images[edit | edit source]
Connections[edit | edit source]
Timeline[edit | edit source]
Lt. Commdr. Spock: Psycho-File
|TOS comics (The Enterprise Logs)||Next comic:|
Murder on the Enterprise
The Star Trek Encyclopedia