History and specifics
It was located 900 light years from Earth and eight days from Beta VI at the outer edge of quadrant 904. Its size was coded magnitude 1-E. It was previously uncharted and a natural radio source, producing strong interference with subspace communications. It was iron-silicate-based with constant volcanic activity. Its toxic atmosphere and hostile, hot climate were prone to tornadoes, with a pressure similar to Earth, but respirators were required as it lacked oxygen.
In 2267, the Federation starship USS Enterprise discovered the planet while traveling through the star desert at warp three en route to Beta VI. Trelane played cat-and-mouse games with the starship, at one point propelling the planet at high sublight velocities. (TOS episode & Star Trek 11 novelization: The Squire of Gothos)
- TOS novel: Spock, Messiah!
- TNG novel: Q-Squared
- ST reference: Star Trek Maps
- ST reference: Worlds of the Federation
- FASA RPG module: Star Trek: The Next Generation Officer's Manual
- LUG RPG module: Star Trek: The Original Series Core Game Book
- Decipher RPG module: Worlds
- Star Trek: The Magazine vol. 3, Issue 7: "Trelane"