The Groumall class (also referred to as a Cardassian military freighter, Cardassian freighter or Cardassian cargo ship) was a type of cargo ship operated by the Cardassian Union in the 2370s. This class of moderately armed ships was used for ferrying troops and supplying bases in Cardassian territory. (CCG set: Deep Space Nine; Decipher RPG module: Starships; DS9 episode: "Return to Grace"; TNG video game: Armada II)
History and specifications
First commissioned in 2351, the production for this class of Cardassian freighter was based out of the Cardassia Prime Orbital Three Assembly Facility. (Decipher RPG module: Starships; DS9 reference: Technical Manual)
The specification for the class varied form ship to ship with some armed with four or more spiral-wave disruptors while others had no weaponry at all - instead relying on their shielding and manoeuvrability to get them out of harms way. (DS9 reference: Technical Manual; TNG video game: Armada II)
In 2377 many vessels of the this class regularly carried cargos between Cardassian trading stations, as well as sometimes shipping goods to friendly Federation, Klingon and Romulan trading facilities. Goods carried included dilithium, latinum, metals, personnel, Saurian brandy, tribbles, warp cores, Romulan ale, replicators, gagh, hologenerators, medical supplies, antigrav devices, quadrotriticale, raktajino and various other trade goods. (TNG video game: Armada II)
In 2393, the Cardassians began selling their technology across the Alpha and Beta Quadrants. (STO novel: The Needs of the Many, The Path to 2409 section) By 2409, Ferengi and Cardassian corporations produced the commercial variant of the Groumall, called Tuffli class. (STO website: Season 6 Dev Blog #7: "Reinforcements Duty Officer Pack")
As a result, civilians from powers like the Federation and non-aligned factions employed the modular Tuffli-class freighter in various configurations. (STO - Klingon War missions: "Azura Blues", "Treasure Trading Station") This class of freighter was popular in Romulan space. (STO - Romulan Mystery mission: "Under the Cover of Night", STO - Legacy of Romulus mission: "Flight from Virinat")
- DS9 reference: Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Technical Manual
- The Decipher RPG module: Starships gives a crew complement of thirty, while the DS9 Technical Manual states thirty plus, and the Star Trek Fact Files gives a crew of fifty. In Armada II the ships have a crew of one-hundred, however crew complements in the game are tailored for balanced game-play and do not generally reflect accurate specifications from more technical publications.
- The DS9 Technical Manual gives vessels of this class an moderate armament, while Armada II features the class with no weaponry at all.
- The class name of Groumall (from the only canon named vessel) was established in Decipher RPG module: Starships.
- STO - Klingon War mission: "Azura Blues"
- STO - Klingon War mission: "Treasure Trading Station"
|Starship classes of the Cardassian Union|
|Named classes||Akril • Bok'Nor • Brinok • Bruja • Damar (destroyer) • Damar (dreadnought) • Galor • Groumall • Gul Vystan • Hideki • Hutet • Hybrid • Janissary • Keldon • Kulinor • Legate • Liburnian • Nerok • Netel • Neterok • Norin • Ranol • Rasilak • Sartan • Selek • Telok • Tonga • Toran • Vasad • Vinca • Yrcan • Zhoden|
|Unnamed classes by type/description||colony ship • construction ship • cruiser • dreadnought missile • mining freighter • repair ship • survey vessel • fighter • shuttlecraft|