In 2266, the commander of a Lerow rocket shook hands with James T. Kirk after the captain gave him an energy converter to save the Lerow homeworld from debilitating acid rains. (TOS comic: "Planet Ecnal's Dilemma")
In 2270, Kirk shook hands with Gorn captain S'alath. As a result, Kirk broke two fingers and suffered a fractured wrist, but it was worth it to Kirk. He was pleased that it resolved a diplomatic crisis and might lead to better relations. (TOS - Unlimited comic: "Dying of the Light")
In 2367 Captain Jean-Luc Picard had to refrain from trying to shake hands with the Tarn observer Harna Karish. The ritual of shaking hands is seen as an aggressive move by a Tarn too close to a foe. Instead the Tarn uses the Harma greeting. (TNG novel: The Forgotten War)
|stub relating to a culture, language or tradition. You can help our database by expanding on it.|
- DS9 episode: "Emissary"
- TOS novel: The Rift
- TOS - Unlimited comic: "Dying of the Light"
- TOS comic: "Planet Ecnal's Dilemma"
- TNG novel: The Forgotten War
- DS9 novel: Trial by Error
- VOY - The Captain's Table novel: Fire Ship
- DS9 short story: "Barclay Program Nine"
- FASA RPG module: The Orions: Book of Common Knowledge