- This article is about the Hippocratic Oath. You may be looking for the DS9 episode "Hippocratic Oath".
A Starfleet chief medical officer was bound by the Oath and his duty. (Last Unicorn RPG modules: Star Trek: The Original Series Core Game Book, Star Trek: The Next Generation Players' Guide) As such, a doctor was obligated to reject the orders or wishes of a commanding officer if they conflicted with a patient's treatment instructions or the doctor's medical opinion. (Star Trek Adventures RPG module: The Sciences Division)
"To please no one will I prescribe a deadly drug, nor give advice which may cause his death. But I will preserve the purity of my life and my art. I will not cut for stone, even for patients in whom the disease is manifest. I will leave this operation for practitioners (specialists in the art)... If I keep this oath faithfully, may I enjoy my life and practice my art, respected by all men and in all times; but if I swerve from it or violate it, may the reverse be my lot." (TOS reference: Star Fleet Medical Reference Manual)
Revised edition text
"In the ancient names of Apollo the Physician, and Aesculapius, and by Health and Allheal his daughters, I swear this oath — though chiefly by the One above Them, Whose Name we do not know. I swear to wield my art in such ways, and only in such ways, as serve to preserve sentient life in its myriad forms, or to allow such life to depart in dignity. I shall turn aside from every act, or inaction, which would allow any being's life to depart untimely. Into whatever place I go for the healing of the sick, I shall hold such things as I see there to be as secret as the holy Mysteries. I swear to perform no procedure in which I am unqualified. Nor shall I use my position as a tool in the seduction of any being. I will teach this, my art, without fee or stipulation, to other disciples bound to it by oath, should they desire to learn it; and I shall hold the ones who taught me the art as close as family, and help them in their need should they require it. I ask the Power Which hears oaths to hear me swear this one. As long as I keep it, may I stand rightfully in the respect of my fellow beings: but should I break it, may the reverse be my lot." (TOS novel: Doctor's Orders)
Dr. Revati Jendra faced conflicts between the oath and the Prime Directive on planet NGC 667 while aiding the Grennai, including resigning from Starfleet in order to continue assisting them. (TOS - Constellations short story: "First, Do No Harm")
In a graduate speech for sciences division cadets at Starfleet Academy in the early 24th century, Federation Science Council Admiral T'Malass Ch'ton cited the Oath as an essential component for officers allowing Starfleet to reach its goals. (Star Trek Adventures RPG module: The Sciences Division)
In 2371, the first sentence of the Hippocratic Oath ("First, do no harm") passed through Doctor Fitzgerald's mind when he was fatally injured during USS Voyager's transport into the Delta Quadrant by the Caretaker. (VOY novelization: Caretaker)
Dr. Julian Bashir wrote an article, "The Ethics of Treatment", detailing various components that went into medical choices, including the Oath. (Star Trek Adventures RPG module: The Sciences Division)
- ENT episode: "The Breach"
- VOY episode: "Critical Care"
- VOY episode: "Message in a Bottle"
- TOS novel: Demons
- TOS novel: Double, Double
- TOS novel: Doctor's Orders
- TOS novel: Ghost-Walker
- TOS novel: Shadows on the Sun
- TOS novel: The Children of Kings
- TOS novel: Seasons of Light and Darkness
- TOS - Constellations short story: "First, Do No Harm"
- TOS comic: "The Last Word"
- TOS novel: The Children of Kings
- TOS novel: No Time Like the Past
- TNG novel: Q-Space
- TNG novel: A Time to Hate
- TNG novel: A Time to Heal
- TNG novel: A Time for War, A Time for Peace
- TNG novel: Articles of the Federation
- TNG novel: Resistance
- TNG novel: Dark Mirror
- DS9 novel: Vengeance
- DS9 - Rebels novel: The Liberated
- DS9 novel: Prophecy and Change
- DS9 novel: Warpath
- DS9 - The Dominion War novel: Call to Arms...
- VOY novelization: Caretaker
- VOY novel: The Farther Shore
- VOY novel: Distant Shores
- VOY - String Theory novel: Evolution
- TNG - Invasion! novel: The Soldiers of Fear
- VOY - Invasion! novel: The Final Fury
- TTN novel: Orion's Hounds
- ST - Typhon Pact novel: Zero Sum Game
- ST - Myriad Universes - Infinity's Prism novella: Places of Exile
- TOS - Starfleet Academy novella: Aftershock
- ENT - Strange New Worlds VI short story: "Cabin E-14"
- VOY - Strange New Worlds VII short story: "I Have Broken the Prime Directive"
- VAN novel: Summon the Thunder
- ST - The Fall novel: A Ceremony of Losses
- ST - Section 31 novel: Disavowed
- Last Unicorn RPG module: Starfleet Academy Narrator's Guide
- Last Unicorn RPG module: Star Trek: The Original Series Core Game Book
- Last Unicorn RPG module: Star Trek: The Next Generation Core Game Book
- Last Unicorn RPG module: Star Trek: The Next Generation Players' Guide
- Last Unicorn RPG module: The Way of Kolinahr: The Vulcans
- Decipher RPG module: Worlds
- Star Trek Adventures RPG module: The Sciences Division
- Star Trek Adventures RPG module: These are the Voyages: Mission Compendium Vol. 1 mission: A World With a Bluer Sun
- TOS reference: Star Fleet Medical Reference Manual