Having travelled back in time to the year 1986, Hikaru Sulu encountered his ancestor Akira in 20th-century San Francisco. Hikaru attempted to speak to Akira in Japanese, but due to Hikaru's rather sketchy grasp of the language, he thought he must have sounded like a character from The Tale of Genji when speaking to the boy. (TOS novelization: The Voyage Home)
- Curse word, apparently comparable with "damn" in English. (TOS - The Brave and the Bold, Book One novella: The First Artifact)
- divine wind is the direct translation. The latter usage of "kamikaze" originated on Earth during the Second World War. Seeking to stop the advance of American forces, Japanese forces often made such suicide runs against Allied ships, often in planes laden with explosives. (TOS novel: Dreams of the Raven)
- Ritual suicide in the Japanese culture. (TOS novel: The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh, Volume 1)
- Japanese language article at Memory Alpha, the wiki for canon Star Trek.
- Japanese language article at Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.