"Like a Shadow... Like a Dream" was a two-page Star Trek: The Original Series comic book story, the backup feature in John Byrne's Star Trek: New Visions issue #20. In this story, James T. Kirk, Leonard McCoy and Spock tried out some new holographic equipment.
- 1 Summary
- 2 References
- 3 Timeline
- 4 Appendices
Summary[edit | edit source]
Although he has some initial doubts about the project, Kirk is impressed with holo-pods, an early exploration into holodeck technology. McCoy abruptly ends the program when Spock tells him it also uses transporter technology. Scott laments that holographic scotch is not drinkable.
References[edit | edit source]
Characters[edit | edit source]
Starships and vehicles[edit | edit source]
Locations[edit | edit source]
- Referenced only
- Deneb IX
Races and cultures[edit | edit source]
States and organizations[edit | edit source]
Science and technology[edit | edit source]
Ranks and titles[edit | edit source]
Other references[edit | edit source]
Timeline[edit | edit source]
Chronology[edit | edit source]
- This story likely takes place prior to Balok providing the Enterprise with the far more sophisticated holographic recreation room technology in 2269, in TOS novel: The Face of the Unknown.
Production history[edit | edit source]
- February 2018
- First printed in New Visions, Issue 20. (IDW Publishing)
- August 2018
- Reprinted in the omnibus New Visions, Volume 7. (IDW Publishing)
- October 2019
- Reprinted in hardcover in Graphic Novel Collection premium subscription photonovel #4. (Eaglemoss Collections)
Appendices[edit | edit source]
Background[edit | edit source]
- The story's title recalls a conversation about ambition consisting of shadows and dreams in Hamlet, Act 2, Scene 2 by William Shakespeare. (Hamlet Act 2 Scene 2 at the MIT Shakespeare website)
Related stories[edit | edit source]
- TAS episode: "The Practical Joker" – In 2269, McCoy, Hikaru Sulu and Nyota Uhura became trapped inside a recreation room outfitted with holographic technology.
- Template:Lkc – In 2271, Rear Admiral James T. Kirk simulated the new bridge of the refit USS Enterprise within a holodeck-like facility at Starfleet Command.
Images[edit | edit source]
Connections[edit | edit source]
#21: The Enemy of My Enemy