Loved Not Wisely… was a Star Trek: The Original Series comic book, the second issue in the Star-Crossed trilogy written by Howard Weinstein. The trilogy dealt with the relationship between James T. Kirk and Carol Marcus. The three issues were penciled by Rachel Ketchum, inked by Mark Heike and published by DC Comics in 1995. In this story, Kirk learned he was the father of David Marcus.
- 1 Publisher's description
- 2 Summary
- 3 References
- 4 Timeline
- 5 Appendices
Publisher's description[edit | edit source]
- From solicitations
- After serving his tour of duty as First Officer of the Eagle, Jim Kirk is recalled to Earth. If he think that Starfleet Command is being mysterious, just wait until he meets up with Carol Marcus and the little surprise that she has for him.
Summary[edit | edit source]
- Personal log, Kirk recording. After twenty-one months as first officer of the Eagle, I've been recalled to Earth. I'm not sure why. Nobody at Starfleet would tell me. Gary Mitchell came along for the ride. He thinks they're going to make me a captain. I think he's delusional.
Mitchell invited him to a night on the town, but Kirk preferred to surprise Carol Marcus at the Federation Science Academy in San Francisco. She agreed to dinner, but the tables were turned when she stopped off at day-care to pick up 10-month-old David Marcus. After putting David to sleep that evening, she revealed that he was Kirk's son.
The next morning Kirk visited the Kirk farm in Riverside, Iowa, played catch with this three nephews and asked his brother Sam for advice. Before lunch, he received a communique offering him command of a light cruiser and was ordered to return for briefings. He left messages for Marcus inviting her to attend the change of command ceremony at noon the next day.
- Captain's log, supplemental. Kirk recording. This is my first entry as commander of the USS Oxford. All departments report operational. The ship stands ready to resume its mission as soon as we receive orders from Starfleet Command.
His mother Winona Kirk attended the ceremony and gave him a copy of Verses by John Donne, a family heirloom. They said their farewells when Mitchell signaled that a V.I.P. awaited him in the briefing room, who turned out to be Marcus. He proposed but she declined, understanding that Kirk was already married to Starfleet and that David would not benefit from having an absentee father. She asked that Kirk stay out of David's life if they weren't going to be together.
Mitchell manned the helm of the USS Oxford as Kirk ordered the ship to depart.
References[edit | edit source]
Characters[edit | edit source]
- Brett Kirk • George "Sam" Kirk • James T. Kirk • Peter Kirk • Robbie Kirk • Winona Kirk • Carol Marcus • David Marcus • Gary Mitchell • Ben Wu
- Referenced only
- Cupid • John Donne • Aurelan Kirk • George Samuel Kirk, Sr. • Tiberius Kirk • Majewski
Starships and vehicles[edit | edit source]
Locations[edit | edit source]
- Earth (Riverside, Iowa • San Francisco) • Spacedock • Starfleet Command
- Referenced only
- Geneva • Scotland
Races and cultures[edit | edit source]
States and organizations[edit | edit source]
- Federation Science Academy • Geneva Agricultural Program • Starfleet • Starfleet Academy • United Federation of Planets
Science and technology[edit | edit source]
Ranks and titles[edit | edit source]
- captain • commanding officer • doctor • Federation Starfleet ranks (2260s) • helmsman • lieutenant • scientist • skipper • Starfleet ranks
Other references[edit | edit source]
- beam • bridge • briefing room • cattle • conference room • farm • football • galaxy • Golden Gate Bridge • horse • impulse power • Kobayashi Maru scenario • laboratory • life • love • marriage • mile • month • orbit • planet • Starfleet uniform • Starfleet uniform (2240s-2265) • starship • transporter room • universe • Verses • year
Timeline[edit | edit source]
Chronology[edit | edit source]
- 18th century
- The Kirk family migrated from Scotland (more than 500 years prior to the story)
- The Kirk boys enjoyed playing with the family's broken tractor (20 years prior to the story)
- Carol Marcus departed from the Eagle two months pregnant (17 months prior to the story)
- David Marcus was born (10 months prior to this story)
Appendices[edit | edit source]
Background[edit | edit source]
- The title "Loved Not Wisely..." was a line from the play Othello, Act 5, Scene 2 by William Shakespeare. (Othello Act 5, Scene 2 at the MIT Shakespeare website)
- Peter Kirk's two brothers were not named in TOS episode: "Operation -- Annihilate!" and have been referenced with varying names in different sources. In this story they were called Brett and Robbie, but they were also called Stephen and Thomas in ST video game: Starship Creator (published in 1998), Marcus and Virgil in TOS comic: "Bloodline" (2001), Alexander and Julius in TOS novel: The Last Roundup (2003), Joshua and Steven in TOS novel: The Autobiography of James T. Kirk (2015), and George and Gregory in TOS comic: "Sam" (2017). His youngest brother was also called Craig Kirk in ST video game: Away Team (2001).
- Although Kirk's log implied that he had spent 17 consecutive months as the Eagle's first officer, he encountered Carol Marcus in a story set in between the two Star-Crossed stories (TOS novel: Inception) while she was still pregnant. At that time, he was serving as first officer of the USS Aloia.
- As this story took place ten months after David Marcus' birthday, it could occur in 2262 if David were born after February 2261.
Related stories[edit | edit source]
- TOS comics: "Star-Crossed", "A Bright Particular Star" – Other stories in the Star-Crossed miniseries.
- TOS novel: Inception – In 2261, Carol Marcus ended their relationship while still pregnant.
- TOS movie: The Wrath of Khan – In 2285, Carol and David Marcus reunited with Kirk.
Images[edit | edit source]
Connections[edit | edit source]
(DC Comics, Series Two)
#75: A Bright Particular Star
#75: A Bright Particular Star
|Memory Beta Chronology||Next adventure:|