- 1 Description
- 2 Summary
- 3 References
- 4 Timeline
- 5 Appendices
- John Byrne continues his new Star Trek photonovel adventures with "Made Out of Mudd" — Harry Mudd has gotten under Jim Kirk's skin before, but never quite like this… alien artifacts, Klingons, and a mad man's schemes add up to headaches for the captain and his crew. All that, plus tribbles!
- Captain's log, stardate 4823.2
- The Enterprise has been summoned to planet Tau Delta IX, with no reason given. I would be inclined to ignore this order without further clarification … except that it has been given an Alpha One Priority designation! Our orders are to make immediate contact with chief of psychiatry, Varn Hamilton.
- Captain's log, stardate 4824.0
- The Klingon armada is retreating across the full span of their invasion, As usual, there are no apologies, no admissions of any wrongdoings. Unlike Captain Koloth, I do not relish the thought of our next encounter. So far our meetings have been bloodless – but I know that cannot last.
- Christine Chapel • Pavel Chekov • Barlow • Varn Hamilton • James T. Kirk • Korax • Koloth • Krakowski • Leonard McCoy • M'N'Alli • Harry Mudd • Montgomery Scott • Spock • Hikaru Sulu • Ronald Tracey • Nyota Uhura • unnamed Klingons (IKS Gr'oth personnel) • unnamed Starfleet personnel • unnamed USS Enterprise personnel (security guards)
- Referenced only
- Stella Mudd • Klingon Emperor
Starships and vehicles
- USS Enterprise (Constitution-class heavy cruiser) • USS Excalibur or USS Yamato (NCC-1705) • IKS Gr'oth (D7-class Klingon battlecruiser) • USS Potemkin (NCC-1711) • USS Proxima (NCC-1737) • USS Sinuiji (NCC-1770) • Six other D7-class Klingon battlecruisers • Starfleet Shuttlecraft (posing as Enterprise shuttle Galileo) • NCC-1661/1 (Class F shuttlecraft)
- Referenced only
- USS Exeter
- Deep Space Communications Link Station (K-class space station) • Tau Delta IX (Tau Delta star system, the galaxy's Beta Quadrant)
- Referenced only
- Deep Space Station K-7 • Mudd (planet) • Triangularis III (Triangularis system)
Races and cultures
States and organizations
Science and technology
- atom • brainwave • cellular growth accelerator • communication grid • communications station • computer • DNA • phaser • psychiatry • scanner • sensor • tape • tractor beam • transporter • vanity transporter • warp drive • warp six
Ranks and titles
- captain • chief of psychiatry • commander • doctor • ensign • lieutenant • navigator • parole officer
- Alpha One Priority • android • ape • armada • assignment patch • atmosphere • birthday party • brig • captain's log, USS Enterprise, 2268 • chicken • Class M planet • Class K planet • code • coordinates • court martial • crew • cruiser • criminal • Federation law • Federation Starfleet ranks (2260s) • fruit • grain • hangar bay • hatch • hawk • hour • humanoid • katlak • log entry • mind meld • minute • mirror • Organian Peace Treaty • outpost • parole • planet • quadrant • rehabilitation colony • second • sector • space station • Starfleet uniform • Starfleet uniform (2265-2270) • sun • trial • treason • war • war game
- USS Enterprise visited Triangularis III. James T. Kirk beamed to the surface, where vanity transporters saved his molecular pattern.
- Late 2267
- Mudd claimed that after a matter of weeks, he had lost 50 kilos while working in grain fields on the planet Mudd.
- Events of TOS episode: "The Omega Glory".
- Following his court martial, Ronald Tracey visited several planets, discovering an operational vanity transporter from an ancient civilization.
- While on Triangularis III, Tracey appropriated a microtape copy of Kirk's pattern.
- This story was chronologically the next Harry Mudd adventure after TOS episode: "I, Mudd".
- Five Constitution-class starships were seen supporting the USS Enterprise to route the Klingon fleet. Registries were clearly visible on three: NCC-1705, NCC-1711, and NCC-1770. A fourth might be NCC-1737, while no registry was visible on the fifth. Based on registry, the four vessels appeared to be the USS Excalibur or USS Yamato (NCC-1705); USS Potemkin, based on a NCC-1711 registry cited in TOS reference: Star Fleet Technical Manual, or another vessel; USS Proxima (NCC-1737); and USS Sinuiji (NCC-1770).
- IKS Gr'oth was not cited by name.
- Koloth referred to the mission of the backup story in this issue, "The Great Tribble Hunt".
- Galileo had been destroyed prior to TOS episode: "The Omega Glory" and replaced by the Galileo II. Not aware of that, Ronald Tracey painted Galileo on the stolen shuttle.
- The shuttlecraft seen in the hangar bay, marked NCC-1661/1, could belong to the USS Kinshasa (NCC-1661) or a different vessel with that registry.
- The operations center of the Deep Space Communications Link Station had the same layout as the one on Deep Space Monitor Station 18 seen in TOS - New Visions comic: "Time's Echo".
- Mudd's adventures continued in TOS - New Visions comic: "The Survival Equation".
- TOS episode: "Mudd's Women" – Introduction of Harry Mudd in Star Trek: The Original Series.
- TOS episode: "I, Mudd" – How Mudd came to be paroled on planet Mudd and supervised by Stella Mudd androids.
- The other story in the issue was titled "The Great Tribble Hunt".
|Media featuring Harry Mudd|
|Episodes||"Mudd's Women" • "I, Mudd" • "Mudd's Passion" • "Choose Your Pain" • "Magic to Make the Sanest Man Go Mad" • "The Escape Artist"|
|Miniseries||The Return of Mudd • The Return of Harry Mudd|
|Novels and collections||Mudd's Angels • Mudd's Enterprise • Mudd in Your Eye • The Light Fantastic|
|Short stories||The Business, As Usual, During Altercations • A Sucker Born|
|RPGs and Video games||25th Anniversary • 25th Anniversary (NES) • Starfleet Academy (game) • Through a Glass, Darkly m • Trexels • Star Trek Timelines • Fleet Command|
|Comics||"Operation Con Game" • "It's a Living" • "When You Wish Upon a Star...!" • "Mudd's Magic!" • "Mission: Muddled" • "The Sky Above...The Mudd Below" • "Target: Mudd!" • "Made Out of Mudd" • "The Survival Equation" • Discovery - Succession, Issue 1 m • Year Five, Issue 15 • Year Five, Issue 16|
|m : Mirror universe|
#4 The Great Tribble Hunt
Star Trek: The Manga
|Memory Beta Chronology||Next adventure:|
|The adventures of Harcourt Fenton Mudd||Next story:|
The Survival Equation