Characteristics and history
In the year 2156, the Enterprise provided magnesium, tungsten, and cobalt to the Tellarite freighter pilots Skalaar and Gaavrin so that they could rebuild their warp coils. (ENT - The Romulan War novel: To Brave the Storm)
In 2274, Commander Kolak’s Klingon battle cruiser vaporized a magnesium-laden planetary fragment in the Vulpecula 12 system. The overwhelming flash of the blast overloaded sensors and temporarily disabled the pursuing Federation starship USS Enterprise. (TOS comic: "Restructuring Is Futile")
Later that year, phaser fire ignited magnesium within a rock formation with on Miaplacidus V. When the resulting flare blinded "Spock", he exposed himself as a fake to Leonard McCoy, who knew that the Vulcan had inner eyelids. (TOS comic: "The Quality of Mercy")
- TNG episodes: "The Best of Both Worlds", "Night Terrors"
- DS9 episodes: "The Forgotten", "Civil Defense"
- VOY episode: "One Small Step"
- TOS novel: World Without End
- TOS - The Enterprise Logs comic: "Volume 1"
- TOS comic: "Restructuring Is Futile"
- TOS comic: "The Quality of Mercy"
- ENT - The Romulan War novel: To Brave the Storm
- ENT - Strange New Worlds 10 short story: "Universal Chord"
- TTN novel: Synthesis
- ST reference: Star Fleet Medical Reference Manual