- For other uses, see Nobunaga.
Charles Tucker awakes to find himself in a strange place. Phlox informs him that an accident aboard the USS Defiant injured him badly and that he had been returned to Earth for treatment, though he was soon going to die. In reality, Tucker was being tortured on the orders of the Empress in order to gain the prefix code of the ISS Nobunaga, which had been stolen by Jonathan Archer (with Tucker's help) and was being used against the Empire. In the end, the efforts at torture appear to have failed, though the Empress gives orders to continue the torture.
- This short story takes its name from Oda Nobunaga, a powerful Samurai warlord of late 16th century Japan, who was a driving force in the unification of that country.
- Jonathan Archer • Leandra • Phlox • A.G. Robinson • Malcolm Reed • Hoshi Sato • T'Pol • Charles Tucker III
- Referenced only
- Zefram Cochrane • Hess • Robin Hood • Travis Mayweather • Morowski • Friar Tuck
- Primary universe references
- Charles Tucker III
Starships and vehicles
Races and cultures
States and organizations
- agonizer • Archer's Rebellion • captain • commander • delta radiation • Emperor of the Terran Empire • first officer • mind meld • parsec • photon torpedo • Regent of the Terran Empire • shield • viewscreen • warp drive
References and Notes
- Although the Historian's Note at the start of the story cites the year 2156, there are numerous references in the story indicating that this a typo and that the actual year is 2165: Tucker having studied Defiant for ten years and thinking of T'Pol in her borrowed twenty-third century uniform ten years earlier, having been summoned to the Empress's Kyoto palace to begin construction of Nobunaga five years earlier, and completion of the ship taking five years. In addition, the story states that Jonathan Archer's clone, introduced at the end of "Age of the Empress," had served the Empire for two years before defecting to and eventually leading the rebels, reinforcing a time well after 2156.
|Star Trek: Mirror Universe publications and stories|
|Novels||The Sorrows of Empire • Rise Like Lions|
|Novellas||Glass Empires||"Age of the Empress" • "The Sorrows of Empire" • "The Worst of Both Worlds"|
|Obsidian Alliances||"The Mirror-Scaled Serpent" • "Cutting Ties" • "Saturn's Children"|
|Short stories||Shards and Shadows||"Nobunaga" • "Ill Winds" • "The Greater Good" • "The Black Flag" • "The Traitor" • "The Sacred Chalice" • "Bitter Fruit" • "Family Matters" • "Homecoming" • "A Terrible Beauty" • "Empathy" • "For Want of a Nail"|
|Shards and Shadows||Next story:|
The Children of Kings
Gods of Night
Chapters 2 and 6
|Memory Beta Chronology||Next Adventure:|
The Great Starship Race