None But the Brave was a 22-page Star Trek: The Original Series story which appeared in the fourth issue of Marvel Comics' anthology series Star Trek Unlimited along with the TNG story "Inheritance". In this story, Starfleet sent a task force to recover an experimental Constitution-class starship captured by Romulans.
- From solicitations
- Scotty joins Starfleet Security in a covert mission to rescue a captured Federation starship — a ship with a secret!
The USS Confederate field tested a warp accelerator that theoretically could yield transwarp speeds. In 2268, its inventor dismissed it as too unstable, but Starfleet built it anyway. It failed, forcing all personnel to evacuate in the saucer section. Unfortunately, the engineering section was recovered by Romulans and brought to their Atnox Depot for study. Commodore Foley hoped to recover the ship, and sent the USS Enterprise to the edge of the Romulan Neutral Zone as a lure.
- Mission log, Commander Mirek recording. The Federation ship prowls the edge of the border. Taunting us. Under normal circumstances, such actions would seem reckless and foolhardy, but I am dealing with James Kirk, and therefore I must look for a deeper purpose... just as I must look for his slightest slip, the slenderest excuse to destroy him...
With six ships dispatched from Atnox Depot to support Mirek, the facility was only lightly guarded when Montgomery Scott and a commando team landed and sneaked aboard the Confederate. Scott provided limited shields and maneuvering thrusters, enough to launch the Confederate and escape the depot's defensive gun emplacements. They had enough power for a 30-second burst at warp two, which got them within sight of the Enterprise, but they came to a dead stop on the wrong side of the border.
Starfleet Intelligence operatives armed the Confederate's auto destruct, but the miracle worker had one more idea. Scott readied the warp accelerator for one last test, then sent a coded message telling the Enterprise how to shield themselves. The propulsion system misfired as expected – generating a distortion field that disabled all of the Romulan ships. Before the Confederate fell into a spacial rift, the commando team safely beamed over to the Enterprise.
- Captain's log, supplemental. With nothing left to fight over, the Romulans have withdrawn, and the USS Nimrod has arrived to collect Commodore Foley and her people…
- Baskin • Pavel Chekov • Craig • Foley • James T. Kirk • Leonard McCoy • Mirek • Montgomery Scott • Spock • Hikaru Sulu • Nyota Uhura • unnamed Romulans
- Referenced only
- Virgil Brahms • Liviana Charvanek
Starships and vehiclesEdit
- USS Confederate • USS Enterprise (Constitution-class heavy cruiser) • USS Nimrod • Rajol • unnamed Romulan starships (Vas Hatham-class birds-of-prey • Stormbird-class battle cruiser • warbird)
Races and culturesEdit
States and organizationsEdit
- Romulan Star Empire • Starfleet • Starfleet Intelligence • Starfleet Security • United Federation of Planets
Science and technologyEdit
- auto destruct • cloaking device • computer • dilithium • disruptor • gun emplacements • drydock • helm • impulse • intermix chamber • life support • phaser • phaser bank • phaser rifle • shields • thruster • transporter • transwarp drive • type-2 phaser • type-3 phaser • viewscreen • warp accelerator • warp engine • weapon
Ranks and titlesEdit
- captain • centurion • chief medical officer • commander • commodore • detective • engineer • Federation Starfleet ranks (2260s) • fleet commander • officer • Starfleet ranks
- assignment patch • battle bridge • beam • brain • bridge • bull • captain's log • day • engineering • hour • light year • money • mustache • plasma • Romulan language • saucer section • saucer separation • second • secondary hull • space-time continuum • spacial distortion • spacial rift • Starfleet uniform • Starfleet uniform (2265-2270) • transporter room • warp two • year
- The USS Nimrod was depicted as a Daedalus-class starship. Six years later, the Nimrod would survive a battle with Romulans in TOS - Rihannsu novel: Honor Blade.
- Scott grew a mustache since the events of the previous story, "Message in a Bottle". He had the mustache in the next story, "As Flies to Wanton Boys", but not in the alternate reality created by Q and Trelane seen in "An Infinite Jest".
- TOS episode: "The Enterprise Incident" – Events from this story were described by Mirek, Liviana Charvanek's sister.
- TNG - Unlimited comic: "Inheritance" – The USS Confederate emerged from the spacial rift in 2371 and was again recovered by Romulan forces.
|Star Trek Unlimited comics|
|#1 ("Directives" & "Dying of the Light") • #2 ("Action of the Tiger" & "The Unkindest Cut") • #3 ("Message in a Bottle" & "Sins of the Fathers") • #4 ("None But the Brave" & "Inheritance") • #5 ("Secret Lives" & "As Flies to Wanton Boys ") • "Heart of Darkness" • "An Infinite Jest" • #8 ("The Boy", "The Warrior" & "The Veteran") • "Trekkers" • "A Piece of Reaction"|
#3: Message in a Bottle
#5: As Flies to Wanton Boys
Sins of the Fathers
|Star Trek: Unlimited||Next comic:|
Sins of the Fathers
Dan Abnett and Ian Edginton
Message in a Bottle
|Memory Beta Chronology||Next adventure:|
As Flies to Wanton Boys