The Oberth-class was a type of Federation starship in service in the 23rd and 24th centuries. It was used by both Starfleet and civilian institutions, mainly in the role of a surveyor or science vessel.
The design was successful enough to spawn at least three sub-classes: the Clarke-class and the slightly larger Gagarin-class in the 23rd century ; and the larger still Sagan-class in the 24th century .
Notable missions of the class and its sub-classes include the USS Chaffee's first contact with the Bzzit Khaht in 2274; USS Grissom's assignment to the Genesis Planet in 2285; deep-space exploration by the USS Oberth in 2293; the first exploration of the interior of the Badlands by the USS Yosemite in 2336 ; and the USS Armstrong's Gamma Quadrant survey mission in 2369.
As well as ongoing scientific research and exploration, the Oberth-class served other mission profiles. One ship, the USS Trosper, found service with the Starfleet Corps of Engineers , and another, the USS Pegasus, was used as a testbed vessel for various technologies including an illegal Federation cloaking device . The class also served in tactical support roles such as the USS Bonestell recording tactical data during the Battle of Wolf 359 in 2367, and then in 2373 three Oberth-class starships fought the Borg during the Battle of Sector 001. Other ships were utilised as couriers or transports.
The Oberth-class's status as an explorer came to an end with the introduction of the Galaxy-class starship in the 2360s, and the class itself was succeeded by the Nova-class later in the same decade.
The Oberth-class had 13 decks, which included six levels within the pylons. The secondary hull housed the warp core, and a small shuttlebay was located in the aft section. (TNG episode: "Hero Worship")
For defensive and tactical situations, the class was equipped with deflector shields, phaser arrays and a probe/photon torpedo launcher. (TOS movie: The Search for Spock; TNG movie: Star Trek: First Contact; WizKids module: Tactics)
- The Ship Recognition Manual, Volume 4: Starships of The Original Series Era book published by Last Unicorn Games after they had lost their Star Trek licence listed two other Oberth-class starships: USS Lowell (NCC-664) and USS Ve'hal (NCC-681).
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 TOS video game: Starfleet Academy
- ↑ Starfleet Operations Manual module:
- ↑ The Official Starships Collection Issue 36: "Oberth class"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Narrator's Guide module:
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Star Trek: The Next Generation Core Game Book module:
- ↑ Star Trek Adventures module: Operations Division supplement
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 TNG reference: Star Trek: The Next Generation Technical Manual
- ↑ FASA RPG module: Starship Tactical Combat Simulator
- ↑ FASA RPG module: Star Trek: The Next Generation Officer's Manual
- ↑ FASA RPG module: Star Trek IV Sourcebook Update
- ↑ TOS movie: Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
- ↑ TOS movie: Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
- ↑ TNG novella: The Badlands, Part II
- ↑ DS9 comic: "Stowaway"
- ↑ SCE eBook: Progress
- ↑ TNG episode: "The Pegasus"
- ↑ Decipher RPG module: Narrator's Guide
- ↑ TNG movie: Star Trek: First Contact
- ↑ TNG episodes: "The Drumhead", "The Game"
- ↑ ST reference: Star Trek: Starship Spotter