- For other uses, see Ptolemy.
- This vessel and its class are likely named after Ptolemy.
Used by Starfleet to transport priority military and government cargoes (civilian freighters being adequate for other loads), the tug was a full-fledged starship with limited armament suitable to its role in the fleet. However, since a Ptolemy-class tug cost almost as much as a large cruiser to build, competition between the Front-line and Logistical branches of Starfleet for construction funds was fierce.
The Ptolemy-class could carry up to three cargo pods. If only carrying two, one but not both could be a double-weight pod, and if one was a double-weight pod, it must be the one directly connected to the tug itself, at the front.
Types of pods
The pods themselves were towed in-line, one attached to the tug and the others to the pod in front.
The Starliner pod was designed for the transport of 300 personnel. Too expensive to use for colonization, it usually carried relief crews to isolated outposts. The Starliner pod was capable of independent operations at sublight speed.
There were actually several types of Cargo pod (liquid, break-bulk, container, pallet, dry bulk, etc.), but all were functionally identical. There was no crew, only some accessways for members of the tug's crew or the destination base' personnel to oversee loading and unloading.
There was also a Marines pod, used by the Starfleet Marine Corps as a troop transport and barracks.
- Admiral Fitzpatrick kept a model of a Ptolemy-class transport/tug in his office at Starfleet Headquarters in 2273. (TOS comic: "The Haunting of Thallus!")
- Star Fleet Technical Manual (TOS technical manual) (first appearance)
- 25th Anniversary (TOS video game)
- Declassified (VAN novel)