- 1 Description
- 2 Summary
- 3 References
- 4 Appendices
Description[edit | edit source]
In the latest Star Trek photonovel adventure by John Byrne a distant Federation frontier world suddenly goes silent and Captain Kirk and the crew of the Enterprise must follow a path of destroyed planets while pursuing a mysterious hostile vessel from the Delta Quadrant.
Summary[edit | edit source]
- Captain's log stardate 3519.7: USS Enterprise approaching Federation Outpost Omega-70, to investigate sudden loss of communications from this distant world.
A forced-core implosion had reduced the planet to asteroids. Starfleet reported seven other star systems had gone silent. The Enterprise traveled to the first destroyed system and rescued a lone survivor on a small planetary fragment. Doctor Kalwany said that invaders had stolen a mining device from their world, turned it into an implosion weapon and used it to destroy his planet.
The Enterprise pursued an energy trail and discovered a small spherical vessel emitting extremely high levels of radiation. The life readings aboard were unusual, as if body parts were scattered throughout the ship, and from their actions might have been dying and driven insane from the radiation. The vessel ignored hails and fired its implosion weapon whenever the Enterprise got too close. Kirk had little choice but to retreat outside its defensive perimeter.
- Captain's log, supplemental: Our deadly game of tag with the alien ship has continued now for three hours. Helmsman Sulu's superb piloting skill have kept our damage down to a minimum, but how long…
The alien vessel headed for the Tau Gamma system, population 15 billion. Even as radiation killed its remaining crew, the ship transmitted a regular signal that defied translation. Kirk tried beaming up survivors, but the vessel opened fire. Spock and Montgomery Scott figured out how to implode the implosion weapon by redirecting the starship's warp engine output into the alien vessel, producing a microscopic black hole. Though the margin of error was small, they succeeded in destroying the alien vessel and saving Tau Gamma IV.
- Captain's log, supplemental. Science department has completed three days of intensive study of the region around Tau Gamma IV. There is no trace of the mysterious intruder. Or the microscopic black hole briefly created by their destruction. Nyota Uhura at last translated the aliens' signal: "Resistance is futile".
References[edit | edit source]
Characters[edit | edit source]
- Pavel Chekov • Kalwany • James T. Kirk • Leonard McCoy • Montgomery Scott • Spock • Hikaru Sulu • Nyota Uhura
Starships and vehicles[edit | edit source]
Locations[edit | edit source]
Races and cultures[edit | edit source]
States and organizations[edit | edit source]
Science and technology[edit | edit source]
- atmosphere • black hole • deflector • galaxy • gamma radiation • gravity • hailing signal • impulse engine • implosion weapon • induced coma • light speed • machine • mining • phaser • photon torpedo • radiation • scanner • starship • subspace • subspace communication • tractor beam • transporter • "tunneling" drive • universal translator • warp drive • warp factor
Ranks and titles[edit | edit source]
Other references[edit | edit source]
- asteroid field • battle stations • bridge • captain's log • day • hour • landing party • language • mountaintop • organism • planet • Planet control • science • sickbay • Starfleet uniform (2265-2270) • transporter room • weapon
Appendices[edit | edit source]
Background[edit | edit source]
- Spock cited the Delta Quadrant as being more than 98% unexplored in 2267.
- The Borg sphere in this story was smaller than ones encountered in the 24th century, appearing to be only 100 or 200 meters in diameter.
Related stories[edit | edit source]
- TOS comic: "Museum at the End of Time" – In 2266, the Enterprise discovered an intact, inhabited planetary remnant after traveling through a spacial vortex within a cosmic storm.
- TOS comic: "Side Effects" – In 2267, the Enterprise discovered Danzek, a prototype Borg Queen.
- TOS comic: "Restructuring Is Futile" – In 2274, the Omnimind sought to create a hybrid species of humanoids and cybernetics.
Images[edit | edit source]
Connections[edit | edit source]
#5: "A Scent of Ghosts"
|Star Trek: The Original Series
"The Menace of the Mechanitrons"
|Memory Beta Chronology||Next Adventure:|
Strange New Worlds 10
"The Doomsday Gambit"