Rock and a Hard Place was a five-page Star Trek: The Original Series comic strip published in 1978. It was the last of 11 annual stories from the UK comic strips series and was printed in the United Kingdom in TV Comic Annual 1979.
- 1 Publisher's description
- 2 Summary
- 3 References
- 4 Timeline
- 5 Appendices
Publisher's description[edit | edit source]
- Omnibus teaser
- Kirk and Chekov visit Andrius, an advanced world in the Arcan-Beta System, but the neighboring Vornerians mistake the Enterprise for a hostile craft and launch deadly missiles at the starship.
Summary[edit | edit source]
Governor Dalmon invited Kirk to visit his city. Shortly after Kirk beamed down with Chekov, however, a Vornerian ship fired system-dampening vartar missiles at the USS Enterprise, then landed outside the city. Armed hovercraft captured Kirk, Chekov and Dalmon as hostages. The Enterprise drifted helplessly toward an asteroid belt.
Kirk, Chekov and Dalmon awoke aboard the Vornerian ship in a brig. A guard said they were headed back to their homeworld. Dalmon told Kirk that he could help the Enterprise, if only there was a way they could contact his planet. Kirk resolved to take over the Vornerian ship. Kirk whistled a tune tonelessly, and when an annoyed guard got too close, Chekov grabbed him. Kirk found the guard's key and unlocked their cell. Armed with stolen weapons, the officers surprised the ship's commander and took control of their bridge.
Dalmon contacted his people on Andrius. He had them fire anti-vartar missiles at the Enterprise which released the starship's systems and averted the asteroid danger. Kirk was able to pilot the enemy craft back to Andrius. Later, the starship prepared to host a visit by Governor Dalmon.
References[edit | edit source]
Characters[edit | edit source]
- Pavel Chekov • Dalmon • James T. Kirk • Leonard McCoy • Montgomery Scott • Spock • Hikaru Sulu • Nyota Uhura • Zarrk • unnamed Andrius natives • unnamed Vornerians
Starships and vehicles[edit | edit source]
Locations[edit | edit source]
Races and cultures[edit | edit source]
Science and technology[edit | edit source]
- anti-vartar missile • environmental suit • gun • missile • radio • starship • transporter • vartar missile • warp drive • weapon
Ranks and titles[edit | edit source]
Other references[edit | edit source]
- asteroid • asteroid belt • beam • bridge • brig • capital city • city • civilization • communications • engine • hair • helm • holding cell • hostage • logic • planet • snake
Timeline[edit | edit source]
Chronology[edit | edit source]
- The presence of Pavel Chekov as a bridge officer places the story after his promotion to bridge duty in May 2267. (TOS comics: "Mister Chekov", "A Little Seasoning")
"The Gods Have Come!"
UK comic strips Annuals
last annual story
Production history[edit | edit source]
- 25 August 1978
- First published in TV Comic Annual 1979 (Polystyle Publications)
- September 2017
- Reprinted in the omnibus The Classic UK Comics, Volume 3 (IDW Publishing)
Appendices[edit | edit source]
Background[edit | edit source]
- The story was not printed with a title, but it was given one ("Rock and a Hard Place") for its reprinting in the omnibus The Classic UK Comics, Volume 3.
- Publishing date source was Amazon.com.
- In the darkened bridge on page 2, Nyota Uhura reported on the status of the ship's powerless helm and navigation, while Hikaru Sulu updated Spock on the communications systems. Montgomery Scott was seen in shadows with them after he described the status of the engines.
- Leonard McCoy was seen in the last panel, but had no dialogue.
Related stories[edit | edit source]
- TOS episode & Star Trek 2 novelization: A Taste of Armageddon – In 2267, during a diplomatic mission, the Enterprise was caught between warring planets Eminiar VII and Vendikar.
- TAS episode & Log Four novelization: More Tribbles, More Troubles – In 2270, the IKS Devisor fired a systems-disabling stasis projector weapon at the Enterprise.
- TOS comic: "The Wristwatch Plantation" – In 2274, the Kzinti vessel Giant Killer fired a systems-disabling Hamstringer weapon at the Enterprise.