- For other uses, see Ro.
Characteristics and history
Rodinium, in its most stable form, has an atomic mass of 323, and was discovered by Humans and the Federation through the study of the records found on Vega IX in archaeological research. This metal is part of the trans-uranic series of heavy elements. (ST reference: Star Fleet Medical Reference Manual)
As one of the hardest materials known, rodinium was often used in the construction of starships, space stations and other structures, both within the Federation and in the Cardassian Union, such as in the Earth Outpost Stations and the Bok'Nor-class freighters. (TOS episode: "Balance of Terror"; DS9 episode: "The Maquis, Part I"; DS9 novel: Devil in the Sky)
The Curved Rodinium Culture was a name given by archaeologists to an Orion Empire that dominated most of the Orion Arm around 23,000 years before modern times. (Last Unicorn RPG module: All Our Yesterdays: The Time Travel Sourcebook)
During her training in the Obsidian Order, Iliana Ghemor had to quickly assemble a disruptor from a variety of parts given to her. She managed to assemble it, including its rodinium collar, in record time. (DS9 novel: Fearful Symmetry)
In 2374, an explosive device that detonated in Lavin Meryn's establishment on Deep Space 9's Promenade was loaded with rodinium darts for use as shrapnel. (DS9 - Too Long a Sacrifice comic: "Issue 1")
- Rodinium boronate
- Rodinium dicorferite
- Rodinium excelinate
- Rodinium monocrystal
- Rodinium pentacarbide
In real-life science, element 125 has yet to be discovered. A placeholder name based on its number, "unbipentium", has been suggested to document the possible existence of this substance. Some models of theoretical science have stated that heavy elements on this scale may be impossible to synthesize or reproduce, and cannot exist in nature. Subspace science mentioned in Star Trek may account for the contradiction of this being a natural resource on other worlds.
- TOS episode: "Balance of Terror"
- ST reference: Star Fleet Medical Reference Manual
- DS9 episode: "The Maquis, Part I"
- TOS novel: The Klingon Gambit
- TOS - Fortunes of War novel: Battlestations!
- TOS - Starfleet Academy novel: Cadet Kirk
- TNG novels: Vendetta, Before Dishonor
- DS9 novels: Devil in the Sky, Station Rage, Fearful Symmetry
- DS9 - Mission Gamma novel: Twilight
- ST - A Time to... novels: A Time to Sow, A Time to Harvest
- TLE novel: The Art of the Impossible
- SCE - Have Tech, Will Travel short story: "Fatal Error"
- VOY - The Brave and the Bold, Book Two novella: The Third Artifact
- DS9 reference: Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Technical Manual
- ST - Destiny novels: Gods of Night, Mere Mortals
- TTN novel: Over a Torrent Sea
- ENT - The Romulan War novel: Beneath the Raptor's Wing
- VAN novel: What Judgments Come
- VAN - Declassified short story: "Almost Tomorrow"
- Last Unicorn RPG module: All Our Yesterdays: The Time Travel Sourcebook
- ST - Typhon Pact novel: Raise the Dawn