- When the crew of the Enterprise is called to facilitate a prisoner transfer, Captain Kirk must face one of the greatest moral challenges of his life, proving the innocence of a confessed killer — Sam, Kirk's own brother, in a thrilling tale courtesy of writer/photoartist John Byrne.
- Captain's log, stardate 2201.9
- USS Enterprise entering standard orbit about Starbase 11. The only thing that will be "standard" about this visit, I suspect. I am beaming down to meet with Starbase Commander José Mendez.
- Personal log
- Leaving orbit, Starbase 11. Sam has been brought aboard the Enterprise and incarcerated in the ship's brig. He remains alternately silent and elusive about this whole affair.
- Captain's log, stardate 2205.1
- Entering standard orbit around Earth Colony Two. In one hour, I shall be beaming down to meet with Star Fleet Commodore Niven. But first, I have a personal matter to attend do.
- Keith Finer • George Samuel Kirk, Jr. • James T. Kirk • Koloth • Korax • Tommy Kovaks • John Kyle • Martins • Leonard McCoy • José Mendez • Janice Rand • Montgomery Scott • Spock • Hikaru Sulu • Nyota Uhura
- Referenced only
- Aurelan Kirk • George Kirk (son) • Gregory Kirk • Peter Kirk • Klingon Emperor • Niven
Starships and vehicles
Races and cultures
- Referenced only
Ranks and titles
- biologist • captain • commander • commodore • doctor • engineer • emperor • first officer • lieutenant • security guard • yeoman
States and organizations
- Starfleet Command • Starfleet Academy • United Federation of Planets • Klingon Empire • Klingon High Command
Technology and weapons
- Klingon disruptor • mind-sifter • phaser • scanner • shields • stun • transporter • tricorder • warp drive • warp engine
- brig • commendation • engineering section • Federation law • Klingon space • Ktaka fruit • military • mind meld • mining • murder • Organian Peace Treaty • prison • Raktajino • rehabilitation colony • Saurian brandy • Scotch whisky • stargram • T'astian monk • transporter room • trial • warp factor (warp five • warp six • warp eight • warp nine)
- This story takes place in 2267 between the events of TOS episode: "Errand of Mercy" (which established the Organian Peace Treaty and the Klingon mind-sifter cited in the story) and Sam's death in TOS episode: "Operation -- Annihilate!". Koloth described the elapsed time since the treaty as "all these months later".
- This story was presented as Kirk's first meeting with Koloth and Korax.
#13: "The Hidden Face"
|TOS comics||Next comic:|
#15: "The Traveler"