Sergeant Shul was one of the first Bajoran deputies taken on by Constable Odo after the end of the Occupation of Bajor, when the station was brought under Starfleet administration in 2369 and was designated Deep Space 9.
Shul resided on the station with his wife. Shul was well regarded by Odo, and liked to work the night-side shift as he liked the atmosphere on the Promenade late at night.
In 2376, Shul was one of the only Bajorans that would talk to Colonel Kira Nerys after she had been Attainted by Vedek Yevir Linjarin. After witnessing Corporal Hava Remaht trying to ignore Kira because of the Attainder, he told her that he'd "give him a stern talking-to". (DS9 - Section 31 novel: Abyss)
After Bajor joined the Federation in September 2376, Shul became a member of Starfleet when most of the Militia was absorbed into the service.
By December 2385, Shul carried the rank of lieutenant and continued to serve in the security division. He was part of the crew rotation assigned to Security Outpost Endalla One on Bajor's moon Endalla, and was the commanding officer during his week-long stint there. (DS9 novel: Sacraments of Fire)
- DS9 - Prophecy and Change short story: "Foundlings"
- DS9 - Section 31 novel: Abyss
- DS9 - Mission Gamma novel: Twilight
- DS9 - Mission Gamma novel: This Gray Spirit
- DS9 - Mission Gamma novel: Cathedral
- DS9 - Mission Gamma novel: Lesser Evil
- ST - Typhon Pact novel: Raise the Dawn
- ST - The Fall novel: Revelation and Dust
- DS9 novel: Sacraments of Fire