Star-Crossed was a Star Trek: The Original Series comic book, the first issue in the Star-Crossed trilogy written by Howard Weinstein. The trilogy dealt with the relationship between James T. Kirk and Carol Marcus. The three issues were penciled by Rachel Ketchum, inked by Mark Heike and published by DC Comics in 1995. In this story, Kirk and Marcus struggled with their relationship in 2254 and 2260 while serving together in Starfleet.
- 1 Publisher's description
- 2 Summary
- 3 References
- 4 Appendices
Publisher's description[edit | edit source]
- From solicitations
- Part one of the three-part Star-Crossed storyline begins in Star Trek #73. For the first time anywhere: the story of James T. Kirk's struggle with the Kobayashi Maru, the Starfleet test of character that helped mold the man who would one day captain the Enterprise.
Summary[edit | edit source]
2254[edit | edit source]
On his third try and with help from Carol Marcus, Kirk makes the best of a no-win situation by reprogramming the Kobayashi Maru test. Gary Mitchell manned the helm of the USS Potemkin bridge simulator at Starfleet Academy and witnessed Klingon commander Kozor yielding to the great "Captain" Kirk and agreeing to be helpful. Hours later, Kirk was still in the simulator when cadet Carol Marcus found him. He defended his actions, and later was given a commendation for original thinking.
2260[edit | edit source]
- Ship's log, Supplemental
- First officer Kirk recording. The Eagle has left Starbase 9 bound for the Kysharan sector, to continue our planetary survey mission.
Six years later when Kirk became First Officer of the USS Eagle, he hadn't expected to find Carol among the crew. Captain Botwin took note of their rocky interaction, and a month later urged Kirk to sort out the relationship before it interfered with their duties. He also asked Kirk to assess her Starfleet potential, as she'd earned equal numbers of commendations and reprimands. The two eventually resumed their relationship and were together three months later when the ship entered orbit of Caperna IV. That evening they had a romantic dinner, but she was distracted by her shaky status with department head Pierre Ratelle.
- First officer's log
- Kirk Recording. Preparing to beam down our first survey team to planet Caperna IV.
During the survey, Carol became curious about rock strata in a gorge. Believing she'd never get permission to climb down alone and that Gerardi was too busy studying plants, she hiked down for a quick look but lost track of time exploring a cave. When she missed the team's final check-in, Gerardi determined that she'd have to be in the gorge because mineral deposits blocked tricorder readings there. The landing party climbed down to search for her and nearly got caught in a rock slide before locating her.
It's clear that Carol is too confined by Starfleet. That evening, she also learned she was two months pregnant. When Kirk reprimanded her for endangering herself and the team, she gave him a letter of resignation. She leaves Starfleet and Kirk at Starbase 9, to be on her own.
References[edit | edit source]
Characters[edit | edit source]
- Botwin • Gerardi • Kozor • James T. Kirk • Carol Marcus • Gary Mitchell • Pierre Ratelle • unnamed Starfleet personnel • unnamed USS Eagle personnel
Starships and vehicles[edit | edit source]
- USS Eagle • USS Potemkin
- Referenced only
- Klingon D7-class battle cruisers • ECS Kobayashi Maru (Hasparath-class freighter)
Locations[edit | edit source]
- Caperna IV • Earth • Kysharan sector • Starbase 9
- Referenced only
- Federation-Klingon Neutral Zone • Jupiter
Races and cultures[edit | edit source]
States and Organizations[edit | edit source]
Science and technology[edit | edit source]
- bridge simulator • communications • communicator • computer • helm • scanner • shield • starship • transporter • tricorder • viewscreen • warp speed
Ranks and titles[edit | edit source]
- cadet • captain • chief surgeon • commander • Federation Starfleet ranks (2240s-2260s) • first officer • lieutenant • officer • Starfleet ranks
Other references[edit | edit source]
- bridge • bush • cave • court martial • day • galaxy • geology • Golden Gate Bridge • history • hour • Kobayashi Maru scenario • landing party • mineral • month • mutiny • planet • plant • psychology • purgatory • quarters • resignation • rose • Starfleet uniform • Starfleet uniform (2240s-2265) • transporter room • uniform • warp one • water
Appendices[edit | edit source]
Related stories[edit | edit source]
- TOS comics: "Loved Not Wisely...", "A Bright Particular Star" – Other stories in the Star-Crossed miniseries.
- TOS novel: Inception – Carol Marcus and Leila Kalomi in 2241 and 2261.
- TOS movie: The Wrath of Khan – Carol Marcus in 2285.
Images[edit | edit source]
Connections[edit | edit source]
Timeline[edit | edit source]
#72: A Wolf in Cheap Clothing, Part IV
(DC Comics, Series Two)
#74: Loved Not Wisely...
A Wolf in Cheap Clothing, Part IV
Loved Not Wisely...
IDW Star Trek, Issue 24
Star Trek (IDW)
|Memory Beta Chronology||Next adventure:|
Chapters 10, 16, 17, 18 & 19
|The above chronology placements are based on the primary placement in 2260.|
The Memory Beta Chronology places events from this story in 1 other timeframe(s):
The Kobayashi Maru
Child of Two Worlds