"Star Trek Stars" was the first of five Star Trek: The Original Series comic strips distributed in Star Trek-themed McDonald's Happy Meals in 1979, coinciding with the release of TOS movie: The Motion Picture. The strip was read by inserting it into a toy called the Star Trek Video Communicator. The story was reprinted in the omnibus The Newspaper Comics, Volume 1.
Summary[edit | edit source]
This comic was a brief introduction to the Enterprise, its crew, and its mission. The Enterprise is described as the "command ship of the Federation". Decker and Ilia are aboard, and the ship is en route to stop an alien force speeding toward Earth, likely V'Ger.
References[edit | edit source]
Characters[edit | edit source]
- Pavel Chekov • Willard Decker • Ilia • James T. Kirk • Leonard McCoy • Montgomery Scott • Spock • Hikaru Sulu
- Referenced only
Starships and vehicles[edit | edit source]
Locations[edit | edit source]
- Referenced only
Races and cultures[edit | edit source]
States and organizations[edit | edit source]
Ranks and titles[edit | edit source]
- captain • chief engineer • chief medical officer • commanding officer • doctor • executive officer • Federation Starfleet ranks (2270s) • first officer • lieutenant • navigator
Other references[edit | edit source]
- assignment patch • brain • bridge • command ship • life • moon • planet • Starfleet uniform (early 2270s) • starship
Appendices[edit | edit source]
Background[edit | edit source]
- Pavel Chekov was introduced as the ship's navigator, Ilia as a navigation officer, and Willard Decker as executive officer.
- Hikaru Sulu was not introduced by name, but he was visible at the helm on the bridge in one panel.
- Nyota Uhura was not introduced despite being featured in the third strip of the series, "Time. And Time. And Time Again."
- V'Ger was referenced, but not by name.
- The Enterprise was depicted in its pre-refit configuration, including the bridge, while the crew were depicted in their post-refit uniforms.
Related stories[edit | edit source]
- Star Trek: The Motion Picture McDonald's Happy Meal Comic Adaptations - Additional comics strips provided on the boxes of the Star Trek Meals themselves.