Strange New Worlds 2016 is the eleventh edition of the Strange New Worlds anthology series, published by Pocket Star Books in 2016 for the 50th Anniversary of Star Trek. The release markes the return of the SNW series after a nine-year hiatus, although as an one-off eBook exclusive.
Publisher's description[edit | edit source]
- From the ordinary to the extraordinary, here are ten all-new fan-created stories embraced by the vision of Star Trek®! When Gene Roddenberry first created this landmark television series fifty years ago, he also tapped a wellspring of human imagination. Viewers were immediately transformed, and over the decades turned the very definition of "fan" on its ear. However, when what was on the screen was simply not enough, fans started writing their own stories...
- In celebration of the 50th anniversary of Star Trek, here are the electrifying results of the 2016 Strange New Worlds writing contest – the best fan-created stories by new writers such as: Derek Tyler Attico, Neil Bryant, Chris Chaplin, John Coffren, Nancy Debretsion, Kelli Fitzpatrick, Roger McCoy, Kristen McQuinn, Gary Piserchio & Frank Tagader, and Michael Turner.
- By the fans, and for the fans. Boldly going where no one has gone before.
Contents[edit | edit source]
Star Trek: The Original Series[edit | edit source]
Star Trek: The Next Generation[edit | edit source]
- "A Christmas Qarol" by Gary Piserchio & Frank Tagader
- "The Sunwalkers" by Kelli Fitzpatrick
- "The Seen and Unseen" by Chris Chaplin
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine[edit | edit source]
- "The Façade of Fate" by Michael Turner
- "The Manhunt Pool" by Nancy Debretsion
- "The Dreamer and the Dream" by Derek Tyler Attico
Star Trek: Voyager[edit | edit source]
- "The Last Refuge" by Roger McCoy
- "Life Among the Post-Industrial Barbarians" by John Coffren
- "Upon the Brink of Remembrance" by Kristen McQuinn
Timeline[edit | edit source]
Strange New Worlds 10
|SNW anthologies||Next book:|
Latest in Series
|Star Trek anthologies||Next book:|
See individual stories
See individual stories
Appendices[edit | edit source]
Background[edit | edit source]
- The cover by Doug Drexler was the winner chosen in an online poll out of two possible cover designs, with the other depicting a shuttlecraft attached to the USS Farragut.
- There are no credited editors for this anthology.
- Two "First Place Winners" (Kerry F. Booth and James Corrigan) were announced whose prizes did not include having their short stories published in this collection.
- A number of rule changes were made compared to previous editions, such as only allowing one entry per person and restricting the contest to residents of the fifty United States and the District of Columbia (excluding Canadians and residents of American territories who could previously enter).
- Former Strange New Worlds editor Dean Wesley Smith was not involved with this edition, and he considered the revised terms and conditions suspect enough that he advised writers against participating.