- Reed was never second officer on the NX-01. When Archer appointed T'Pol as first officer, Trip naturally fell in line as second officer, which we saw him act as on numerous occasions. T'Pol came on board as the mission started, which meant that Reed never had a chance to be second, even though it likely would have been him.
- Riker was also second officer on two other vessels we could note.
- Scotty, Data and Miranda Kadohata are absent from the list
- Jadzia Dax was only second officer of DS9 for two years until Lt Cmdr Eddington superceded her in the post. This was before she was a Lt Cmdr. After Eddington, Worf came aboard and ranked her. By the time she died, she had not been second officer since 2371.
- To make a post captain like Decker second officer seems to have no reasoning behind it, when he was the first officer at best the whole mission, with other officers falling in line behind him.
- Tuvok was always second officer of Voyager. It was never Kim or Pars, except in the one case where Tuvok took command for a month, but then Paris would probably have been first officer.
- Ezri was noted as specifically switching to a command position because she had a desire to become the stations second officer. Nog filled this role temporarily after DS9 was depopulated at the end of thewar, until a few months later when the replacements took their posts.
I'll start to fix some of these glaring errors. -- Captain MKB 13:44, 15 November 2008 (UTC)
- And I've been fretting for the last 20 minutes about how to say all that in the most delicate fashion! – CommodoreFisher 13:47, 15 November 2008 (UTC)
Thinking about it (and maybe I'm thinking too hard!) does Ezri Dax set a precedent of being assigned as second officer without having another "regular" role? At that stage (Avatar) Bashir had just been promoted to Lt Cmdr, so he actually out-ranked Dax. – CommodoreFisher 14:04, 15 November 2008 (UTC)