"Target: Zargot" was a Star Trek: The Original Series comic strip published in 1969. It was the first of 11 annual stories from the UK comic strips series and appeared in Joe 90: Top Secret Annual. In this story, the USS Enterprise came to the aid of a plague-stricken planet.
- Omnibus teaser
- While exploring the Alpha Helios System, the Enterprise rescues an injured alien ejected from an exploding spaceship, who begs Kirk to cure a plague afflicting his people.
- Captain's log, stardate 20:0605. Enterprise carrying out exploration in Alpha Helios system. So far, no indication of life…
The Enterprise comes across a Zargotian cruiser moments before it blows up. A rescue team scrambles to reach an ejection capsule, boarding it moments before its sole occupant dies from a plague that can potentially affect Humans. James T. Kirk orders the Enterprise to find the nearest planet.
- Captain's log, stardate 20:0902. Orbiting alien planet, exploration team ready to teleport to surface…
The planet's inhabitants are suffering from the epidemic. Leonard McCoy meets with their Doctor Ixta, who believes a cure can be made from herbs growing on neighboring planet Coltac. The Enterprise races there, with Kirk taking a team in Space Bug X-4 to the surface. While harvesting the herbs, they repel two large dinosaurs with phaser fire.
- Captain's log, stardate 20:1507. We have returned to Zargot with the herbs. McCoy working with aliens…
McCoy and Ixta succeed in making an antidote, and five days later the inhabitants are cured. The Zargotians celebrate with fireworks.
- David Bailey • Brad • Ixta • James T. Kirk • Leonard McCoy • Spock • Nyota Uhura • Coltac beast • Coltac flying monster • unnamed USS Enterprise personnel (2260s) • unnamed Zargotians
Starships and vehicles
- ejection capsule • USS Enterprise (Constitution-class heavy cruiser) • groundcar • Space Bug X-4 (space wagon) • Space Rescue Bug • Zargotian cruiser
Races and cultures
Ranks and titles
Science and classification
- creeping sickness • cutter • Federation Starfleet ranks (2260s) • grappler • medicine • phaser • radio • rocket • scanner • serum • spacescope • stabilizer • stardate • Starfleet ranks • anatomy • chemistry • energy • galaxy • lifeform • matter • medicine • planet • quadrant • space • star • star system • technology • time • universe • weapon
Materials and substances
Technology and weapons
- clothing • government • nation-state • races and cultures • rank • science • Starfleet uniform • title • uniform • bridge • city • Coltac herb • day • dinosaur • disease • epidemic • fireworks • five-year mission • herb • hospital • lifeform • lizard • magnetism • mile • minute • orbit • plague • planet • port • pterosaur • rainforest • space • star • Starfleet uniform • Starfleet uniform (2265-2270) • system • teleportation chamber • tree • vegetation • year
- TAS - Log Seven novelization: The Eye of the Beholder – A shuttlecrawler explores Boqu II, a world stricken with a plague.
- TOS comic: "Child's Play" – The Enterprise fetches the herb genitum lars on Ominnus to cure a plague on Argylus.
- TOS episode & Star Trek 1 novelization: Miri – The Enterprise crew aids the plague-stricken inhabitants of Miri's homeworld.
- The presence of David Bailey on the Enterprise places this story early in the year 2266, before the events of TOS episode & Star Trek 12 novelization: The Corbomite Maneuver.
- Due to the artist being unfamiliar with the USS Enterprise, a space wagon launches from the rear of the interconnecting dorsal just below the primary hull. As with early issues of Gold Key Comics, the transporter room is presented as a teleportation chamber and the starship's warp nacelles and secondary hull have rocket exhausts.
- Space Bug X-4 is the same type of small craft as the shuttlecrawler featured in TAS - Log Seven novelization: The Eye of the Beholder.
- Nyota Uhura is on the bridge but does not have any dialogue.
first annual story
|TOS comics (UK comic strips Annuals)||Next comic:|
A Bite of the Apple
Furlough to Fury
|Memory Beta Chronology||Next adventure:|
The Crucial Element
Furlough to Fury
|Voyages of the USS Enterprise (NCC-1701), Year Two||Next comic:|
The Crucial Element
- Printed in Joe 90: Top Secret Annual. (21st Century Publications)
- April 2016
- Reprinted in the omnibus The Classic UK Comics, Volume 1. (IDW Publishing)
- 11 May 2017
- Reprinted in the omnibus Graphic Novel Collection, Volume 10. (Eaglemoss Collections)