Tarsus IV, or Tarsis IV, was the fourth planet in orbit of the Tarsus star system, at coordinates 3.89N 3.11E, located somewhere in the space of the galaxy's Alpha or Beta Quadrants. It was a class M planet.
History and specificsEdit
In the 23rd century, Tarsus IV had become home to a Federation agricultural colony. The colony was founded by Earth-Romulan War veterans seeking a more peaceful life in the late 22nd century. The world became part of the United Federation of Planets after its government, a technocracy, was formed. (FASA RPG module: The Federation, ST reference: Federation: The First 150 Years)
By the 2240s decade, Tarsus IV was home to 8,000 inhabitants. A significant part of the population was comprised of colonists that had been evacuated from Epsilon Sorona II following a disaster on that world. Most of the colonists lived in or near the capital of New Anchorage, however there were other settlements on the planet. These settlements included a small coastal village which featured a beach resort that was popular with residents and visitors. (DSC novel: Drastic Measures)
In the year 2246, a mutagenic virus struck the crop plants being grown on the planet's surface and a famine ensued. Only having food supplies for half the colony's inhabitants, Governor Kodos had the other half put to death, in what became known as the Tarsus IV Massacre. (TOS episode & Star Trek 1 novelization: The Conscience of the King; TOS - Enterprise Logs short story: "Though Hell Should Bar the Way"; TOS novel: Academy: Collision Course)
Upon the arrival of the USS Enterprise, chief medical officer Sarah Poole-April was quickly able to isolate and cure the fungal infection. Following the massacre, Starfleet offered to evacuate any surviors who wanted to leave, but the vast majority of colonists elected to remain on Tarsus IV and rebuild the colony. Having managed to survive, Kodos assumed the identity of his aide Ian Galloway and slipped away on a transport. (DSC novel: Drastic Measures)
By reference stardate 2/2306.01, the world had a population of 2.23 billion individuals of various races and cultures, and the government was a full-status colonial member of the Federation. (FASA RPG module: The Federation)
In the alternate reality formed by the Narada's temporal incursion, the colony was attacked in 2246. This information was utilized in the fictional biography of "John Harrison", where he survived but his parents had not. (Star Trek App)
|planets visited by the USS Enterprise (NCC-1701) (2243-2264)|
|Robert April's command (2243-2251)||Earth • Romulan planetoid • Tarsus IV • Faramond|
|Christopher Pike's command (2251-2264)||Earth • GS391 • Areta • Magefferus III • Pharos siteworld • Rigel VII • Talos IV • Darien 224 • Prairie • Neyda Prime • Liria • Jubal • Theta Kalyb • Algol II • Temazi • Corinthia VII • Eridios|
According to a computer image (seen here) created for the ENT episode: "In a Mirror, Darkly", Hoshi Sato and Takashi Kimura married lived on Tarsus IV, where they had a family, until they were executed in the Tarsus IV Massacre. However, an alternative image not mentioning their deaths was used instead (seen here), rendering these events as only a possible fate for the characters.
Appearances and referencesEdit
- TOS episode: "The Conscience of the King"
- TOS novel: Trek to Madworld
- TOS novel: Pawns and Symbols
- TOS novel: Best Destiny
- TOS novel: Probe
- TOS novel: Recovery
- TOS novel: The Ashes of Eden
- TOS novel: Republic
- TOS novel: The Case of the Colonist's Corpse
- TOS novel: To Reign in Hell: The Exile of Khan Noonien Singh
- TOS novel: Provenance of Shadows
- TOS novel: The Fire and the Rose
- TOS novel: Academy: Collision Course
- TOS novel: Demands of Honor
- TOS novel: The Star to Every Wandering
- TOS novel: The Rings of Time
- TOS novel: Allegiance in Exile
- TOS novel: The Folded World
- TOS novel: Foul Deeds Will Rise
- TOS novel: Crisis of Consciousness
- TOS comic: "Day of the Inquisitors" (likely an error)
- TOS short story: "Though Hell Should Bar the Way"
- TOS short story: "First Star I See Tonight"
- TOS novella: The First Artifact
- TOS eBook: The Centre Cannot Hold
- VAN short story: "The Ruins of Noble Men"
- TNG novel: The Romulan Stratagem
- ENT novel: To Brave the Storm
- ST novel: Avenger
- ST novel: Spectre
- ST novel: Preserver
- DSC novel: Drastic Measures