considering that so many known starships have multiple commanders in their service lifetimes? is it really a good idea to include this in the sidebar? -- Captain MKB 22:06, November 5, 2009 (UTC)
- Probably not. Judge King 23:50, November 5, 2009 (UTC)
I disagree, the number of ships with multiple known commanders is surely in the minority to the handful of ships we have enough information about to cover a multitude of captains. A starship's commander if one of the key pieces of information about a ship, often one of the few attributes we are given. It’s a perfect thing to be listed in a sidebar. --8of5 14:48, November 28, 2009 (UTC)
- OK, if this is desired, let's work out a scheme here on the talk page before we insert to the template -- should it be like the multiple 'assignment' (previous, final) fields in the characterbox template?
- My concern would be, if we do not, what happens when someone tries to fit too much information into one field using lots of extra punctuation, and tags? (like cramming multiple entries in, separated by excessive uses of the <br tag?) -- Captain MKB 15:36, November 28, 2009 (UTC)
I think we'd be safe even with examples like the original Enterprise where we'd have six commanders listed - So long as we A) use ";" not "<br>" and B) don't cram in too much information, such as ranks and dates. A list of six semi-colon separated names would be little more overwhelming than say the extensive lists of auxiliary craft some starship classes are listed with. And of course most ships would have far fewer than six names.
Though your suggestion of basing it on the current character box assignment structure would also work pretty well. I'd be happy with either. --8of5 15:46, November 28, 2009 (UTC)
- Maybe a field for 'first CO' (when known), 'final CO' (again, when known) and a middle field where anyone who wasn't definitively known to be first or last could be listed, with the above proviso about excess info followed? -- Captain MKB 15:50, November 28, 2009 (UTC)
- Works for me :) The middle one could also be used when a ship has only had one commander too of course. --8of5 15:53, November 28, 2009 (UTC)