The Children of Stai, or UK comic strips, fifth story arc, was an 8-page Star Trek: The Original Series comic strip published in 1969. It was the fifth story arc in the UK comic strips series. It was released in four parts in issues of Joe 90: Top Secret. In this story, James T. Kirk rescued a group of children from a hostile interstellar state.
- Teaser summary, 31 May, 1969
- Unable to forget the tumultuous welcome the aliens of Stai gave him, Captain Kirk is determined to rescue their children from Galactic Union control…
Kirk was treated to an enthusiastic welcome and a feast during his diplomatic visit to Stai, until controllers from the Galactic Union arrived to shoo him off the planet. Officer Ruf threatened Stai representative Da Nek, reminding him that the Union controlled this planet. Da Nek acquiesced to protect his son and other children schooled on neighboring Union planet Vrex. Angered by Ruf's bullying tactics, Kirk promised Da Nek that he would bring back their children.
- Captain's log, stardate 25:11.3... Approaching Vrex. Have alerted landing party to rescue school boys belonging to Stai…
Four space bugs landed on Vrex. Vrex teachers apprehended the crews, who were under orders not to use military force. Kirk beamed down with three security officers to help, but the school children unexpectedly attacked them all. The Starfleet teams were eventually caught under a huge net and put in a dungeon. Ruf arrived and placed Kirk in a brainwashing machine, converting him to the side of the Union.
As a test, Ruf ordered Kirk to kill his landing party. Before he could fire, however, Spock beamed down an armed team who were able to overwhelm the Union officers. Spock reversed the brainwashing process on Kirk. They returned the students to Da Nek, who said it was the happiest day of his life. Da Nek announced to Ruf that Stai quit the Union.
- David Bailey • Da Nek • Da Nek's son • James T. Kirk • Ruf • Spock • Hikaru Sulu • unnamed USS Enterprise personnel (2260s)
Starships and vehiclesEdit
- USS Enterprise (Constitution-class heavy cruiser) • Galactic Union ship • hovercraft • space bugs • Vrex military ships
- Referenced only
- school bus
Races and culturesEdit
States and organizationsEdit
Science and technologyEdit
Ranks and titlesEdit
- alert status (battle stations • red alert) • captain's log • decade • dungeon • landing party • monk • orbit • peace • school • stardate • Starfleet uniform • Starfleet uniform (2265-2270) • starship • tiger • transporter room • warfare
"The Third Party"
|TOS comics |
UK comic strips
- This story was published in two-page sections over four consecutive weeks in Joe 90: Top Secret magazine.
- 24 May, pages 1-2 published in Joe 90: Top Secret #19.
- 31 May, pages 3-4 published in Joe 90: Top Secret #20.
- 7 June, pages 5-6 published in Joe 90: Top Secret #21.
- 14 June, pages 7-8 published in Joe 90: Top Secret #22.
- Star Trek: The Original Series broadcast its final episode, TOS episode: "Turnabout Intruder", on June 3, 1969. Published on June 7, 1969, the third installment of this story marks the first release of licensed content after the end of the series.
- The story was not printed with a title, but it was given one (The Children of Stai) for its reprinting in the omnibus The Classic UK Comics, Volume 1.
- Artist Harry Lindfield signed the third installment.
- The Galactic Union, or an interstellar state sharing that name in the 28th century, proposed the Temporal Accords that led to the Temporal Cold War. (STO - Future Proof mission: "Time and Tide")
- The teachers on Vrex with large, bald heads were not identified by name or species in the story, making it unclear if they were native to Vrex.
- TOS episode: "And the Children Shall Lead" – The USS Enterprise rescued a group of children on Triacus.
|UK comic strips|
|Weekly story arcs||1 • 2 • 3 • 4 • 5 • 6 • 7 • 8 • 9 • 10 • 11 • 12 • 13 • 14 • 15 • 16 • 17 • 18 • 19 • 20 • 21 • 22 • 23 • 24 • 25 • 26 • 27 • 28 • 29 • 30 • 31 • 32 • 33 • 34 • 35 • 36 • 37|
|Annual stories||1 • 2 • Captives in Space • Planet of Rejects • Gateway to the Future • 6 • 7 • Planet of the Dead • What Is This Thing Called Spock? • The Gods Have Come! • 11|